Senderos off to Milan, but no new signings on the horizon
Arsene Wenger remains tight-lipped over possible new signings with the transfer window closing on September 1, writes Jem Maidment. The Arsenal manager admitted after Saturday s 1-0 loss at Fulham there was nobody on the horizon. We are not close to sign
Arsene Wenger remains tight-lipped over possible new signings with the transfer window closing on September 1, writes Jem Maidment.
The Arsenal manager admitted after Saturday's 1-0 loss at Fulham there was nobody on the horizon.
"We are not close to signing anyone," he said.
But the club continue to be linked with a central midfielder, with Aston Villa's Gareth Barry, Xavi Alonso of Liverpool and Udinese's Gokhan Inler.
You may also want to watch:
The latter two, in particular, are the subject of increased speculation.
The only dealing this week has seen Philippe Senderos making a shock move to AC Milan on a season-long loan. The Switzerland defender has never really settled at Arsenal and was criticised by fans last season after a poor display in the 4-2 Champions League quarter-final defeat at Liverpool.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 6 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 9 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
The intelligent, thoughtful defender, who speaks six languages, was given time off after the match.
Wenger looks to have made his mind up then he was not part of his long-term plans.
Milan have paid around £1 million for him and that will increase by a reported £6 million if they make the move permanent next summer.
"The thinking is that he [Senderos] does not get games here and this way he gets top-level games somewhere," said Wenger. "We have Kolo, Gallas, Djourou, Song and now Silvestre. We have congestion in there and we want him to play without losing him."
l See our books pages for review of Alex Fynn's latest offering on Arsenal.