Senderos off to Milan, but no new signings on the horizon
Arsene Wenger remains tight-lipped over possible new signings with the transfer window closing on September 1, writes Jem Maidment. The Arsenal manager admitted after Saturday s 1-0 loss at Fulham there was nobody on the horizon. We are not close to sign
Arsene Wenger remains tight-lipped over possible new signings with the transfer window closing on September 1, writes Jem Maidment.
The Arsenal manager admitted after Saturday's 1-0 loss at Fulham there was nobody on the horizon.
"We are not close to signing anyone," he said.
But the club continue to be linked with a central midfielder, with Aston Villa's Gareth Barry, Xavi Alonso of Liverpool and Udinese's Gokhan Inler.
The latter two, in particular, are the subject of increased speculation.
The only dealing this week has seen Philippe Senderos making a shock move to AC Milan on a season-long loan. The Switzerland defender has never really settled at Arsenal and was criticised by fans last season after a poor display in the 4-2 Champions League quarter-final defeat at Liverpool.
- 2 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 3 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 4 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 5 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 6 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 7 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 8 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 9 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 10 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
The intelligent, thoughtful defender, who speaks six languages, was given time off after the match.
Wenger looks to have made his mind up then he was not part of his long-term plans.
Milan have paid around £1 million for him and that will increase by a reported £6 million if they make the move permanent next summer.
"The thinking is that he [Senderos] does not get games here and this way he gets top-level games somewhere," said Wenger. "We have Kolo, Gallas, Djourou, Song and now Silvestre. We have congestion in there and we want him to play without losing him."
l See our books pages for review of Alex Fynn's latest offering on Arsenal.