Seema Chandwani named deputy leader of Haringey Council
- Credit: Archant
Haringey Council’s new deputy leader is Cllr Seema Chandwani – who has replaced the sacked Cllr Zena Brabazon.
Cllr Brabazon was shown the door last week when the council’s leader disagreed with her handling of a controversial child services case.
Cllr Chandwani (Lab, West Green) is now Cllr Joseph Ejiofor’s second-in-command at Wood Green Civic Centre, in addition to holding the cabinet brief looking after neighbourhoods.
She said she was “proud” to take over the job in what she called “a council determined to be there for local residents”,
She added: “I’ve lived in Haringey since I was 3 years old. I went to school in this borough, I went to youth centre in this borough, I work in this borough, and if coronavirus didn’t postpone my wedding I would’ve got married in this borough.
“This council looked after me when I was in care, housed me when I left care and supported me to get a degree and have the stable adult life I’m fortunate to have now.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Brabazon remains deputy leader of the Haringey Labour group.
- 1 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 2 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Taste of Nawab: A community staple with Tripadvisor acclaim
- 4 Outdoor dining and one-way traffic to stay in St John's Wood High Street
- 5 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 6 Crouch End entrepreneur supports Moroccan women with textile business
- 7 High Court date set for disabled swimmer's challenge over ponds charges
- 8 Skyscraper plans rejected by Westminster Council over damage to views
- 9 New sixth form site for Westminster school gets go-ahead
- 10 Man stabbed on Finchley Road