Tense stand off: Security vans with dogs swoop to evict squatters from Hampstead convent
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A crew of private security staff accompanied by two vans reportedly containing dogs swooped on a former convent building behind the Royal Free Hospital to remove squatters in the early hours of this morning.
The security team arrived at Bartrams Convent Hostel, in Rowland Hill Street, Belsize Park, this morning in a bid to remove around 20 squatters who have been living in the vacant building since gaining entry last week.
Security staff at the site told the Ham&High they were acting on the orders of the building’s owner and were not allowed to force entry to the property.
Instead, any squatter who leaves the building will not be allowed back in by security staff camped outside the entrance.
They have already barred up to seven squatters who left the building earlier today for work or to fetch supplies.
You may also want to watch:
The security guards told the Ham&High they are prepared to wait outside the building for weeks, until every squatter has left, if required.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 3 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 4 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 5 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 9 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue