Search is on for the politicians of the future
Voting begins this week for the new Camden Youth Council which will provide young representatives from across the Borough the opportunity to feed into local decision-making processes. The Youth Council will also work with the five area forums for young pe
Voting begins this week for the new Camden Youth Council which will provide young representatives from across the Borough the opportunity to feed into local decision-making processes. The Youth Council will also work with the five area forums for young people (age 13-19 years) that have been set up across the Borough.
It is a pity that the Council's current Lib-dem/Tory administration have rushed through this initiative with little publicity and little attempt to involve young people who reside in Camden but do not attend Camden schools. Large numbers of our young people attend schools out of Borough and without having found a means to send ballot papers to them they are unlikely to be represented this year. We are pressing for improvements in subsequent years.
Leaving this aside, the new Youth Council is an important and welcome initiative. It has the potential to help in dealing with the sense of disenfranchisement and alienation that so many of our young people seem to have. For this new Council to be properly representative we need as many people as possible to turn out to vote. We urge all young people in to use their vote over the 2 week period which begins this week. Even those who live in Camden but do not attend schools in Camden can vote and should contact the Youth and Connexions service at the Council for their ballot paper.
Cllr Maya de Souza
You may also want to watch:
Vice-Chair, Camden Green Party
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 7 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue