Scrummy crumpets with goat's cheese, beetroot and fresh rhubarb and ginger marmalade recipe
Scrummy crumpets with goat's cheese, beetroot and fresh rhubarb and ginger marmalade
400g fresh red rhubarb, roughly chopped2 cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)5 tbsp white sugar350g approx fresh beetroot, about 2 medium / large beetroot. Keep whole. 4 crumpets 200g vegetarian Somerset goat's cheese (2 x 100g packs) each pack cut into six slices35g butter for crumpets (or to taste)Mint leaves, to garnishMethod
Put the rhubarb, ginger, sugar and garlic (if used) into a processor and process until the mixture is very finely chopped. Turn into a small saucepan and simmer, uncovered, for about one hour until thick, stirring now and again to stop burning on the bottom of the pan. Allow to cool.
You may also want to watch:
Scrub the beetroots and cut the stalks down to 2.5cms above the bulb. Then either boil in plenty of water until soft (about 40 - 50 minutes depending on size), drain, cover, and leave to cool (about 1 - 2 hours), or wrap in foil and bake at 200°C / 400°F / gas mark 6 for about 40-60 minutes until soft, depending on the size of the beetroot. Leave to cool then skin the beetroot and slice thinly.
Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F / gas mark 6. Toast the crumpets and lightly butter them. Place on a baking tray and divide the sliced beetroot and goat's cheese between them. Place in the oven for about five to seven minutes until warmed through. Garnish with a mint leaf and serve with the marmalade in small ramekins on the side.This recipe is one of twelve mouth-watering, monthly recipes, included in Season to Taste, a collection
- 1 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 4 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 7 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 8 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 9 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 10 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation