Schemes to keep young people on straight and narrow
YOUNG people in Camden are hoping to be kept on the straight and narrow this summer with a range of activities. Music, rock climbing, jewellery design and even free running are among the activities planned. The Camden Council scheme aims to tackle youth
YOUNG people in Camden are hoping to be kept on the straight and narrow this summer with a range of activities.
Music, rock climbing, jewellery design and even 'free running' are among the activities planned.
The Camden Council scheme aims to tackle youth disorder in a season already plagued with youth violence and killings.
Council leader Keith Moffitt said: "We have invested more in youth services this year than ever before. The programme will reach more than 1,000 young people from all over the borough and is part of our commitment to drive down youth-related disorder by providing more opportunities for young people."
You may also want to watch:
Students from Camden performed a 15-minute show at the Roundhouse arts centre in Chalk Farm last Friday in an introduction to some of the activities being offered, including drama, music and rap.
There is free swimming for under-16s at Swiss Cottage leisure centre between now and the end of August.
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 4 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 5 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 6 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 7 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 8 Top producer gives hit making masterclass
- 9 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
- 10 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
And the Camden Summer University is running more than 100 free courses for people aged 13 to 25.
Children's boss, Cllr Janet Grauberg, said: "This programme is jam-packed with fun and exciting things for children and young people and lots of opportunities to learn something new.