Samur secures double gold for Haringey Aquatics at Middlesex Age Group Championships
Haringey Aquatics teenager Renat Samur recorded a double as the club collected a total of five gold medals at the ASA Middlesex Age Group Championships.
Samur snatched victories in both the 100m and 50m boys’ 14 years breaststroke, while Alex Vonckx matched that achievement in the 50m backstroke event for the same age group.
Joe Northover won the men’s 17-and-over 50 backstroke, with Crouch End youngster Max Green battling hard to win a closely-contested boys’ 12 years 50m breaststroke final.
There were strong podium finishes for several other Haringey swimmers, with 17-year-old Sushila Ghose-Coveney taking silver medals in both the 100m and 200m backstroke.
Vonckx claimed three second-place finishes in the 50m breaststroke, 200m backstroke and 100m individual medley, while Green added silver in the 100m breaststroke, as did Jude Liddiard in the 15 years 100m backstroke.
You may also want to watch:
Max Hanson picked up a bronze medal in the boys’ 13 years 50m breaststroke, and 11-year-old Gareth Davies was the youngest Haringey representative to make the podium after taking third place in the 200m butterfly.
Haringey Aquatics coach Paul Doyle said: “While this event is held early in the season, the tournament always helps to build solid platforms as Haringey swimmers progress to regional and national championships.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 5 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 9 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 10 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
“We look to have more swimmers than ever before competing at those events in 2016 and beyond!”
Meanwhile, the club won eight medals at their own inaugural open dive meet, which was held at Park Road Pools and Fitness in Crouch End and featured seven teams and 176 divers – 31 of them from Haringey – in all age groups.
There were gold medals for Thomas Clayton (Group 4 boys 8-11), Taro Kaneko (Group 3 boys 12-16), Samuel Carson (age group boys) and Rick Dear (Masters men’s open).
Shameiah Nanton (Group 4 girls Under-sevens), Edan Everest (Group 4 boys 8-11) and Louis Wilson (Group 3 boys 12-16) all won silver medals, with Ginny Czori (Group 3 girls 12-16) taking a bronze.
Club manager Richard Lerman said: “I am so proud of our divers, and all they managed to accomplish against some very tough competition.
“All of our divers began just six months ago, and watching them deliver such fantastic performances was truly inspirational.”
For more information about Haringey Aquatics, visit www.haringeyaquatics.org.uk.