Sad lack of 'resistance' as we conform to officialdom's foibles
YOUR front page story (Pay up or it s the sound of silence, H&H December 6) about a newsagent who is being told he needs a licence just to play the radio in his shop, shows what a restrictive society we are becoming. Sadly, little or no resistance is b
YOUR front page story (Pay up or it's the sound of silence, H&H December 6) about a newsagent who is being told he needs a licence just to play the radio in his shop, shows what a restrictive society we are becoming. Sadly, little or no 'resistance' is being offered.
At a concert at Wembley Arena on Sunday, the lead singer of Crowded House referred to the UK as the most surveyed country in the world - he was referring to the number of surveillance cameras - and called on the audience to give a typically-British two-fingered salute to any cameras they saw on the way home.
It made me think, and I have to say that on my relatively short journey home, by train and on foot, I spotted no fewer than 23 cameras. How many more were hidden from view?
I suppose if you can't listen to a radio without the enforcers sending threatening letters, it's too much to hope that you might be able to walk home at night without having your every move recorded.
Finchley Road, NW3
- 1 'Our beautiful boy': Bosco (and his big stick) dies after surgery
- 2 Unarmed man shot by police during prison break was ‘lawfully killed’
- 3 'Hostility for LGBT+ people': Mike Freer resigns from Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 5 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 6 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 7 Fears Kenwood will become an 'entertainment centre' as application lodged
- 8 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 9 Elvis Presley songwriter and former Ham&High columnist dies aged 82
- 10 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
Surely if a newsagent has to have a performance licence to listen to a radio in his shop, then all those drivers that play their car radios at full blast with open windows are broadcasting illegally and should also pay up!
North End Road, NW11