Sad lack of 'resistance' as we conform to officialdom's foibles
YOUR front page story (Pay up or it s the sound of silence, H&H December 6) about a newsagent who is being told he needs a licence just to play the radio in his shop, shows what a restrictive society we are becoming. Sadly, little or no resistance is b
YOUR front page story (Pay up or it's the sound of silence, H&H December 6) about a newsagent who is being told he needs a licence just to play the radio in his shop, shows what a restrictive society we are becoming. Sadly, little or no 'resistance' is being offered.
At a concert at Wembley Arena on Sunday, the lead singer of Crowded House referred to the UK as the most surveyed country in the world - he was referring to the number of surveillance cameras - and called on the audience to give a typically-British two-fingered salute to any cameras they saw on the way home.
It made me think, and I have to say that on my relatively short journey home, by train and on foot, I spotted no fewer than 23 cameras. How many more were hidden from view?
I suppose if you can't listen to a radio without the enforcers sending threatening letters, it's too much to hope that you might be able to walk home at night without having your every move recorded.
Finchley Road, NW3
- 1 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 2 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 3 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 4 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 5 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 6 'The joy of addiction is when you are free of it,' says Hampstead author
- 7 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 8 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 9 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 10 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
Surely if a newsagent has to have a performance licence to listen to a radio in his shop, then all those drivers that play their car radios at full blast with open windows are broadcasting illegally and should also pay up!
North End Road, NW11