Sad lack of 'resistance' as we conform to officialdom's foibles
YOUR front page story (Pay up or it s the sound of silence, H&H December 6) about a newsagent who is being told he needs a licence just to play the radio in his shop, shows what a restrictive society we are becoming. Sadly, little or no resistance is b
YOUR front page story (Pay up or it's the sound of silence, H&H December 6) about a newsagent who is being told he needs a licence just to play the radio in his shop, shows what a restrictive society we are becoming. Sadly, little or no 'resistance' is being offered.
At a concert at Wembley Arena on Sunday, the lead singer of Crowded House referred to the UK as the most surveyed country in the world - he was referring to the number of surveillance cameras - and called on the audience to give a typically-British two-fingered salute to any cameras they saw on the way home.
It made me think, and I have to say that on my relatively short journey home, by train and on foot, I spotted no fewer than 23 cameras. How many more were hidden from view?
I suppose if you can't listen to a radio without the enforcers sending threatening letters, it's too much to hope that you might be able to walk home at night without having your every move recorded.
You may also want to watch:
Finchley Road, NW3
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 5 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 6 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 7 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 8 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 9 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 10 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
Surely if a newsagent has to have a performance licence to listen to a radio in his shop, then all those drivers that play their car radios at full blast with open windows are broadcasting illegally and should also pay up!
North End Road, NW11