Sachs all smiles at Christmas event
IT appears that Andrew Sachs is not letting Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand's offensive broadcast on BBC Radio 2 ruin his Christmas. The comic actor, best known for his role as Manuel in Fawlty Towers, enjoyed carols, mince pies and mulled wine at St John
IT appears that Andrew Sachs is not letting Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand's offensive broadcast on BBC Radio 2 ruin his Christmas.
The comic actor, best known for his role as Manuel in Fawlty Towers, enjoyed carols, mince pies and mulled wine at St John's Wood Church last week.
He was joined by Royle Family actress Liz Smith, who was celebrating her birthday, as well as fellow thespians Imelda Staunton and Susan Jameson at a celebrity Christmas evening for the Mayhew Animal Home.
The 78-year-old actor, who grew up in Primrose Hill and now lives with his wife in north-west London, seemed to be enjoying the festivities and the attentions of the other guests at the event on Thursday. "I'm loving every minute of being here," he said.
"We have two pedigree dogs, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, but they're getting on now. So whenever we start thinking about getting another dog we'll use the Mayhew."
But Sachs also admitted that the media storm whipped up by the obscene messages left on his answerphone by Ross and Brand could not have come at a worse time.
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Positives for Arsenal despite missing top four
- 3 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 4 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 5 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 6 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 7 Harry Hill's Tony Blair rock opera premieres at Park Theatre
- 8 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 9 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 10 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
"When it all happened I was trying to look after my wife," he said. "She'd just had a hip replacement after a slip in the bathroom.