Russell Brand quits radio show
Russell Brand has quit his Radio 2 programme after lewd calls he made with Jonathan Ross to actor Andrew Sachs. Mr Brand's resignation comes just a day after both he and Ross, from Hampstead Garden Suburb were suspended by the BBC for the smutty radio stu
Russell Brand has quit his Radio 2 programme after lewd calls he made with Jonathan Ross to actor Andrew Sachs.
Mr Brand's resignation comes just a day after both he and Ross, from Hampstead Garden Suburb were suspended by the BBC for the smutty radio stunt.
Fawlty Towers actor Sachs, 78, said he had respect for Brand's decision.
More than 27,000 complaints were made to the BBC after a Radio 2 broadcast featured the pair leaving a series of vulgar voicemail messages on Mr Sachs' answer phone implying Mr Brand, who lives in Hampstead, had slept with the actor's granddaughter, the model Georgina Baillie, 23.
You may also want to watch:
Brand also joked that Mr Sachs might kill himself because of the message.
Brand said in a statement that he took "complete responsibility" for the incident.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 5 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 6 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 7 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 8 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 9 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
- 10 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
"As I only do the radio show to make people laugh I've decided that, given the subsequent coverage, I will stop doing the show," he said.
He added: "I got a bit caught up in the moment and forgot that, at the core of the rude comments and silly songs, were the real feelings of a beloved and brilliant comic actor and a very sweet and big-hearted young woman.