Russell Brand quits radio show
Russell Brand has quit his Radio 2 programme after lewd calls he made with Jonathan Ross to actor Andrew Sachs. Mr Brand's resignation comes just a day after both he and Ross, from Hampstead Garden Suburb were suspended by the BBC for the smutty radio stu
Russell Brand has quit his Radio 2 programme after lewd calls he made with Jonathan Ross to actor Andrew Sachs.
Mr Brand's resignation comes just a day after both he and Ross, from Hampstead Garden Suburb were suspended by the BBC for the smutty radio stunt.
Fawlty Towers actor Sachs, 78, said he had respect for Brand's decision.
More than 27,000 complaints were made to the BBC after a Radio 2 broadcast featured the pair leaving a series of vulgar voicemail messages on Mr Sachs' answer phone implying Mr Brand, who lives in Hampstead, had slept with the actor's granddaughter, the model Georgina Baillie, 23.
You may also want to watch:
Brand also joked that Mr Sachs might kill himself because of the message.
Brand said in a statement that he took "complete responsibility" for the incident.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 7 Tottenham boss Mourinho unsure on extent of Harry Kane's injury
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 10 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
"As I only do the radio show to make people laugh I've decided that, given the subsequent coverage, I will stop doing the show," he said.
He added: "I got a bit caught up in the moment and forgot that, at the core of the rude comments and silly songs, were the real feelings of a beloved and brilliant comic actor and a very sweet and big-hearted young woman.