Russell Brand quits radio show
Russell Brand has quit his Radio 2 programme after lewd calls he made with Jonathan Ross to actor Andrew Sachs. Mr Brand's resignation comes just a day after both he and Ross, from Hampstead Garden Suburb were suspended by the BBC for the smutty radio stu
Russell Brand has quit his Radio 2 programme after lewd calls he made with Jonathan Ross to actor Andrew Sachs.
Mr Brand's resignation comes just a day after both he and Ross, from Hampstead Garden Suburb were suspended by the BBC for the smutty radio stunt.
Fawlty Towers actor Sachs, 78, said he had respect for Brand's decision.
More than 27,000 complaints were made to the BBC after a Radio 2 broadcast featured the pair leaving a series of vulgar voicemail messages on Mr Sachs' answer phone implying Mr Brand, who lives in Hampstead, had slept with the actor's granddaughter, the model Georgina Baillie, 23.
Brand also joked that Mr Sachs might kill himself because of the message.
Brand said in a statement that he took "complete responsibility" for the incident.
- 1 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 2 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 3 Crouch End Festival: 'Back with a bang bigger than ever'
- 4 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 5 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 6 George Michael's Highgate piano to be auctioned off
- 7 Fans pray for Bosco 'and his big stick' as he goes into surgery
- 8 Golders Green school hosts reunion ahead of closure
- 9 Family pay tribute to schoolgirl at West Hampstead bridge restoration
- 10 'Do the right thing': Locket containing baby's ashes stolen from car
"As I only do the radio show to make people laugh I've decided that, given the subsequent coverage, I will stop doing the show," he said.
He added: "I got a bit caught up in the moment and forgot that, at the core of the rude comments and silly songs, were the real feelings of a beloved and brilliant comic actor and a very sweet and big-hearted young woman.