Royal Free doctors brought profession into disrepute, rules General Medical Council
ROYAL Free doctors who suggested a link between autism and the MMR vaccination abused their position of trust and brought the medical profession into disrepute, the General Medical Council has ruled. The GMC panel found charges proven against Dr Andrew Wa
ROYAL Free doctors who suggested a link between autism and the MMR vaccination abused their position of trust and brought the medical profession into disrepute, the General Medical Council has ruled.
The GMC panel found charges proven against Dr Andrew Wakefield, Prof John Walker-Smith and Prof Simon Murch and said the evidence in each case would "not be insufficient" to make a finding of serious professional misconduct.
They are accused of blunders in research involving 12 boys between 1996 and 1998. They are alleged to have carried out invasive procedures at the Royal Free including colonoscopies and lumbar punctures on the autistic children without ethical approval.
All three will now face further hearings over the coming year before a decision is made.
You may also want to watch:
Panel chairman Dr Surendra Kumar told them: "Having found these facts proved, the panel went on to consider whether your admissions and the panel's findings, taken collectively, would be insufficient to support a finding of serious professional misconduct.
"In your case it found that the facts would not be insufficient and therefore your case will proceed to the next stage."
- 1 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 2 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 3 David Amess murder: Met searches London addresses
- 4 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 5 West Hampstead Women's Institute celebrates 10-year milestone
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Gay music hall icon Fred Barnes to be honoured with Maida Vale plaque
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 10 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
For the full report read next week's Ham&High.