Royal Free doctors brought profession into disrepute, rules General Medical Council
ROYAL Free doctors who suggested a link between autism and the MMR vaccination abused their position of trust and brought the medical profession into disrepute, the General Medical Council has ruled. The GMC panel found charges proven against Dr Andrew Wa
ROYAL Free doctors who suggested a link between autism and the MMR vaccination abused their position of trust and brought the medical profession into disrepute, the General Medical Council has ruled.
The GMC panel found charges proven against Dr Andrew Wakefield, Prof John Walker-Smith and Prof Simon Murch and said the evidence in each case would "not be insufficient" to make a finding of serious professional misconduct.
They are accused of blunders in research involving 12 boys between 1996 and 1998. They are alleged to have carried out invasive procedures at the Royal Free including colonoscopies and lumbar punctures on the autistic children without ethical approval.
All three will now face further hearings over the coming year before a decision is made.
You may also want to watch:
Panel chairman Dr Surendra Kumar told them: "Having found these facts proved, the panel went on to consider whether your admissions and the panel's findings, taken collectively, would be insufficient to support a finding of serious professional misconduct.
"In your case it found that the facts would not be insufficient and therefore your case will proceed to the next stage."
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 4 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 5 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 6 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 7 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 8 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 9 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 10 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham
For the full report read next week's Ham&High.