Room reduced to silence by Desmond Tutu's inspirational words
I read your report last week on Archbishop Desmond Tutu s visit to Golders Green Parish Church in West Heath Drive with interest (Bring troops home from Afghanistan, H&H November 12). I was lucky enough to be there and it was wonderful to hear him speak.
I read your report last week on Archbishop Desmond Tutu's visit to Golders Green Parish Church in West Heath Drive with interest (Bring troops home from Afghanistan, H&H November 12). I was lucky enough to be there and it was wonderful to hear him speak.
The main point of his entertaining sermon was that God's work is not done unless we as individuals actually do the work. Now whether you believe in God or not, him also mentioning that climate change is a problem as the world is facing a clock that is ticking down, was very poignant.
He indicated that if we don't invest in poorer countries to develop new technologies, then if they go down, we all go down.
He then said: ''The world is on edge.'' At that moment you could have heard a pin drop.
You may also want to watch:
He's right, we all share the same planet and so it's up to all of us to make changes in the way we live and use the planet's resources, if we are to avoid major disruption to the lives of future generations.
As the Archbishop moved through the excited crowd to his waiting car, I managed to speak briefly to him about the time his friend and anti-apartheid campaigner Sir Trevor Huddleston spoke at my school in 1970.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 6 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 7 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 8 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 9 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 10 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
The Archbishop said how Trevor was an inspirational speaker. As we waived goodbye, I thought, it takes one to know one.
Barnet Green Party