Room reduced to silence by Desmond Tutu's inspirational words
I read your report last week on Archbishop Desmond Tutu s visit to Golders Green Parish Church in West Heath Drive with interest (Bring troops home from Afghanistan, H&H November 12). I was lucky enough to be there and it was wonderful to hear him speak.
I read your report last week on Archbishop Desmond Tutu's visit to Golders Green Parish Church in West Heath Drive with interest (Bring troops home from Afghanistan, H&H November 12). I was lucky enough to be there and it was wonderful to hear him speak.
The main point of his entertaining sermon was that God's work is not done unless we as individuals actually do the work. Now whether you believe in God or not, him also mentioning that climate change is a problem as the world is facing a clock that is ticking down, was very poignant.
He indicated that if we don't invest in poorer countries to develop new technologies, then if they go down, we all go down.
He then said: ''The world is on edge.'' At that moment you could have heard a pin drop.
You may also want to watch:
He's right, we all share the same planet and so it's up to all of us to make changes in the way we live and use the planet's resources, if we are to avoid major disruption to the lives of future generations.
As the Archbishop moved through the excited crowd to his waiting car, I managed to speak briefly to him about the time his friend and anti-apartheid campaigner Sir Trevor Huddleston spoke at my school in 1970.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 Letters: The floods!
- 9 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 10 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
The Archbishop said how Trevor was an inspirational speaker. As we waived goodbye, I thought, it takes one to know one.
Barnet Green Party