Former Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant donates to campaign to keep Phoenix Cinema independent
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Rock music legend Robert Plant has boosted a campaign to keep the Phoenix Cinema independent, after he donated £1000 to their cause.
The former Led Zeppelin frontman added to a crowd funder launched by campaign group, Save the Phoenix. The group is concerned about the upcoming takeover of the venue in East Finchley by Curzon Cinemas.
The group says the fundraising is intended to show the Phoenix Cinema Trust, who currently run the cinema, that it can raise enough funds without being taken over by a cinema chain.
After his donation, their total currently stands at £3300.
Mr Plant, who grew up in Kidderminster in the West Midlands, tweeted yesterday afternoon: “Too valuable to lose it’s independence - The Phoenix Cinema is an institution!”
You may also want to watch:
The Ham&High has contacted Mr Plant for comment.
A public meeting will take place at the Phoenix on Sunday, with locals set to quiz Phoenix and Curzon bosses over the takeover which is set to come into place at the start of November.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 4 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 5 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 6 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 7 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 8 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 9 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 10 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates