Former Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant donates to campaign to keep Phoenix Cinema independent
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Rock music legend Robert Plant has boosted a campaign to keep the Phoenix Cinema independent, after he donated £1000 to their cause.
The former Led Zeppelin frontman added to a crowd funder launched by campaign group, Save the Phoenix. The group is concerned about the upcoming takeover of the venue in East Finchley by Curzon Cinemas.
The group says the fundraising is intended to show the Phoenix Cinema Trust, who currently run the cinema, that it can raise enough funds without being taken over by a cinema chain.
After his donation, their total currently stands at £3300.
Mr Plant, who grew up in Kidderminster in the West Midlands, tweeted yesterday afternoon: “Too valuable to lose it’s independence - The Phoenix Cinema is an institution!”
You may also want to watch:
The Ham&High has contacted Mr Plant for comment.
A public meeting will take place at the Phoenix on Sunday, with locals set to quiz Phoenix and Curzon bosses over the takeover which is set to come into place at the start of November.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 9 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 10 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader