Roar of approval for Katy Perry’s stylist
- Credit: Archant
Bridget Galton heads to Darren Scott’s relaxed Maida Vale salon to see why the international popstar loves this charming crimper
Before she cut off most of her hair, popstar Katy Perry’s luscious tresses were tended by Maida Vale salon owner Darren Scott.
On one of her gruelling world tours it was his job to make sure she bounced on stage beautifully coiffed and ready to entertain the crowds.
Between snipping styles at his Shirland Road base, Scott is often called upon to travel at short notice to tend the locks of the rich and famous.
But he’s also super loyal to his regular customers, and when you meet this charming stylist you can see why Perry once ordered a huge cake for his birthday while on tour.
You may also want to watch:
With his dog Bully a regular fixture, and partner helping to run the salon, there’s an atmosphere of laid back professionalism that feels like a family.
Noticing my hair is quite dry, he first applies a nourishing treatment that involves sitting for half an hour under a machine that steams every follicle.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 4 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 5 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 8 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 9 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
It really lets the moisture and treatment in, leaving my locks in top condition for days afterwards.
Afterwards, Scott works with the natural curl in my hair with a deceptively simple cut that can be washed and dried – upside down – with a little product and even less fuss. It all fits in well with the lifestyle of a busy working mum and he assures me that tousled curls are very now, so I believe him.
Scott believes strongly that a salon visit should be all about the experience and he certainly delivers on his promise with a relaxed but competent service that’s, ahem, a snip at £50 for a wash cut and blow dry.
He’s rare in being able to handle both European and Afro-Caribbean styles and has recently launched a 24 hour service offering appointments outside normal salon hours, either in Maida Vale or travelling to the client. He tells me he understands how busy folk don’t always have time to nip to the hairdressers in the middle of the day and wants to extend his smile and service to everyone.
Darrenscottsalon.com is at 117 Shirland Road, W9 call 02072869395.