Road and pavement merger one of ambitious ideas for Highgate’s 271 bus terminus
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Highgate could soon have a thriving village centre where “cafe culture” is king if plans to move the loathed 271 bus terminus are pushed through, residents have suggested.
Since plans to move the bus stop from South Grove were announced by Transport for London (TfL) last week, many have questioned what will become of the turning circle where 271 buses currently terminate.
While some want nothing to be done, others suggest that a statue to the late acclaimed violinist and village stalwart, Yehudi Menuhin, could be erected in the middle of the junction.
Some have gone further to propose that South Grove and a section of Highgate High Street could become a “shared space scheme,” which all but abolishes the distinction between road and pavement, removing street clutter.
The idea, which is in place along Exhibition Road in the museum quarter of south Kensington, is to prioritise pedestrians, encourage drivers to go more slowly, and to improve safety.
You may also want to watch:
That idea could open up the door to a new village Parisian-style “cafe culture”, some have suggested to Simon Briscoe, Highgate Neighbourhood Forum’s deputy chairman.
Mr Briscoe can be credited alongside Highgate Society activist, Richard Webber, for coming up with the proposed scheme to move the 271 bus terminus to North Road.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United
The campaigner, who is not advocating any one proposal yet, said: “Some people think nothing should be done, and some people think this is an opportunity to create something special for Highgate, to really put it on the map.”
To suggest ideas, visit the Highgate Neighbourhood Forum’s website.