Riot of colour and costumes as carnival fever grips Hornsey
CARNIVAL fever hit Hornsey on Saturday as colourful floats lined the streets. Costumed revellers held court over the event which included a sponsored lorry-pulling session and a funfair in Priory Park. More than 30 floats joined in the procession from All
CARNIVAL fever hit Hornsey on Saturday as colourful floats lined the streets.
Costumed revellers held court over the event which included a sponsored lorry-pulling session and a funfair in Priory Park.
More than 30 floats joined in the procession from Ally Pally to the High Street and were accompanied by a steel band from Hornsey School for Girls.
The event was the most successful ever and organisers raised £1,673 for a variety of local charities.
You may also want to watch:
Carnival chairman Gordon Rathbone said: "The whole day was a huge success and it's one of the best carnivals we had in recent years.
"There were more entries in the parade than ever before and people really enjoyed themselves. It's a good community event that brings people together."
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 3 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 4 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 5 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 6 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 7 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 8 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 9 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
The first Hornsey carnival was held in 1907 to raise funds for Hornsey Central Hospital. Over the years the route has changed and since 1967, when the borough of Haringey was formally created, organisers have visited its twin city in Germany and taken part in the Koblenz carnival.