Comedian Ricky Gervais pays £1,000 for cake that’s too cute to cut at Hampstead auction
- Credit: Archant
Comedy star Ricky Gervais, a well-known animal lover, couldn’t bring himself to cut into a bear-shaped cake at a Hampstead auction in aid of a wildlife charity.
The comedian outbid everyone to pay £1,000 for the giant handmade chocolate cake, on condition that it be cut up immediately and served to guests at the fundraising event for charity Animals Asia at Burgh House in New End Square on Sunday.
But when asked to make the first cut, he couldn’t bear to slice into the cute cake which was modelled on one of the first bears the charity saved from a farm in China.
He trimmed the toenails of the cake bear, named Andrew, then passed the knife to someone else.
Ricky said: “This isn’t the first time I’ve spent a thousand pounds on cake when I was drunk. At least this time it was for a good cause.”
You may also want to watch:
Actor Peter Egan, who featured in ITV costume drama Downton Abbey, hosted the event as the UK ambassador of Animals Asia.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 3 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 6 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 7 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 10 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up