Comedian Ricky Gervais pays £1,000 for cake that’s too cute to cut at Hampstead auction
- Credit: Archant
Comedy star Ricky Gervais, a well-known animal lover, couldn’t bring himself to cut into a bear-shaped cake at a Hampstead auction in aid of a wildlife charity.
The comedian outbid everyone to pay £1,000 for the giant handmade chocolate cake, on condition that it be cut up immediately and served to guests at the fundraising event for charity Animals Asia at Burgh House in New End Square on Sunday.
But when asked to make the first cut, he couldn’t bear to slice into the cute cake which was modelled on one of the first bears the charity saved from a farm in China.
He trimmed the toenails of the cake bear, named Andrew, then passed the knife to someone else.
Ricky said: “This isn’t the first time I’ve spent a thousand pounds on cake when I was drunk. At least this time it was for a good cause.”
You may also want to watch:
Actor Peter Egan, who featured in ITV costume drama Downton Abbey, hosted the event as the UK ambassador of Animals Asia.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 Emergency services at Gospel Oak estate over safety concern
- 3 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 4 Famous Parliament Hill view still obscured as nesting birds delay work
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 6 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 7 Camden Council wrongly refused housing to domestic abuse victim
- 8 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 9 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 10 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E