Comedian Ricky Gervais pays £1,000 for cake that’s too cute to cut at Hampstead auction
- Credit: Archant
Comedy star Ricky Gervais, a well-known animal lover, couldn’t bring himself to cut into a bear-shaped cake at a Hampstead auction in aid of a wildlife charity.
The comedian outbid everyone to pay £1,000 for the giant handmade chocolate cake, on condition that it be cut up immediately and served to guests at the fundraising event for charity Animals Asia at Burgh House in New End Square on Sunday.
But when asked to make the first cut, he couldn’t bear to slice into the cute cake which was modelled on one of the first bears the charity saved from a farm in China.
He trimmed the toenails of the cake bear, named Andrew, then passed the knife to someone else.
Ricky said: “This isn’t the first time I’ve spent a thousand pounds on cake when I was drunk. At least this time it was for a good cause.”
Actor Peter Egan, who featured in ITV costume drama Downton Abbey, hosted the event as the UK ambassador of Animals Asia.
- 1 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 2 Meet the Crouch End duo taking on McDonald's
- 3 Bus collides with lamppost in Muswell Hill crash
- 4 Christmas at Kenwood feels like walking in a winter wonderland
- 5 Possible traffic disruptions in north London this week
- 6 CCTV: ‘Violent’ Archway Road shop robbery
- 7 George Michael estate helps fund Highgate Christmas lights
- 8 Woman taken to hospital after blaze destroys Abbey Road flat
- 9 Stephen Mangan has Crouch End pupils 'in stitches'
- 10 Developer told to dig up granite slabs at Hornsey Town Hall Square