Ricky Gervais and Peter Egan join campaign to save 300-year-old Hampstead pub
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
Campaigners have issued a rallying call to residents after plans were submitted by property developers to turn one of Hampstead’s oldest pubs into a six-bedroom luxury house.
The Old White Bear gastro pub in Well Road, which has been trading since 1704, could call a final “last orders” as soon as February.
A group of residents hoping to save the pub – which has the support of comedian Ricky Gervais and actor Peter Egan – has called on pub-lovers to make any opposition known by signing a petition and attending a protest this Saturday.
Only launched on Tuesday, the campaign has so far amassed over 450 supporters.
It also has the support of many Hampstead resident and business groups.
Supporter Jessica Learmond-Criqui, leader of the Hampstead Shops Campaign, said: “The community is getting teed up.
“It’s a community asset and a well-loved pub, and people are very upset.”
- 1 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 2 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 3 Fans pray for Bosco 'and his big stick' as he goes into surgery
- 4 Crouch End Festival: 'Back with a bang bigger than ever'
- 5 Family pay tribute to schoolgirl at West Hampstead bridge restoration
- 6 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 7 Golders Green school hosts reunion ahead of closure
- 8 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 9 Crime writer: Why I'm donating royalties to Dogs Trust
- 10 Heath patrols to increase after fisherman robbed at knifepoint
Restaurateur Jasper Gorst, who took over the Bear in 2010, told the Ham&High he had made several unsuccessful attempts to buy the freehold from debt-stricken Punch Taverns but it was instead sold to developer Braaid Ventures Ltd.
The new owner claims the building is not viable as a pub.
Saturday’s protest, complete with “white bears” and mulled wine, will start at noon outside Barclays Bank in Hampstead High Street.