Rhinos’ hopes are dashed again
Old Haberdashers 21 Haringey Rhinos 0
HARINGEY were boosted by the return of captain Dom Gains on Saturday, but the skipper was unable to save his side from their second defeat in a row.
Last week’s 18-12 home defeat against Cheshunt was far from the ideal preparation as the Rhinos travelled to take on the league leaders Old Haberdashers in Borehamwood.
And, having been plagued by injuries, Rubert Jonker’s side failed to score a point as they went down to their seventh defeat of the season.
Haberdashers took the lead with a driving maul from a penalty kick and a line-out. And, although the conversion was missed, Haringey’s frustration and indiscipline handed the hosts another kick at goal and an 8-0 lead.
Rhinos’ best chance came from a scrum just outside the home side’s 22, and quick hands by Shaun Huiskamp and player-coach Rubert Jonker put Tom Vass in space, only for the ball to be knocked on.
Haringey found themselves on the back foot after the interval and, despite bravely repelling around 20 phases of play, tiredness set in and provided Haberdashers with an overlap and another unconvered try.
- 1 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 2 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 3 Community joy as Murphy's Yard application withdrawn
- 4 Toff's of Muswell Hill celebrates Fish and Chips Day with 50 free glasses of fizz
- 5 Duke's Head noise complaints committee hearing
- 6 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 7 Man files complaint following 'unlawful arrest' by police officers
- 8 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 9 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 10 Camden, Westminster raids as 14 arrested in sex trafficking warrants
A penalty kick made it 16-0 and, although Rhinos kept their heads high, a further unconverted try in the corner rounded off a comfortable victory for the league’s pacesetters. Haringey host fifth-placed Barnet Elizabethans on Saturday.
Haringey Rhinos: Howson, Wood, Cordy, Hawkes, Handley, Jakens, Evans, Gains, Huiskamp, Murphy, Vass, Jonker, Jones, McDevitt, Wollaston, Sweetlove, Hutchins, Owusu.