REVIEW: Highate Choral Society's impeccable Gerontius
THE DREAM OF GERONTIUS Highgate Choral Society conducted by Ronald Corp New London Orchestra All Hallows Church, Gospel Oak Four star rating When The Dream of Gerontius received its premiere at the Birmingham Festival in August 1901, it was woefully ina
THE DREAM OF GERONTIUS
Highgate Choral Society conducted by Ronald Corp
New London Orchestra
All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak
You may also want to watch:
Four star rating
When The Dream of Gerontius received its premiere at the Birmingham Festival in August 1901, it was woefully inadequate. The problem was inadequate rehearsal - a situation conductor and Elgar champion Hans Richter was quick to rectify. Gerontius also faced other issues. It was a Catholic work for a public set in its ways of sacred music. Yet the sheer genius of the oratorio won the public over and showed there was nothing in Elgar's earlier choral works to match its brilliance. Bearing in mind all the lessons of the past, Corp, his singers and orchestra showed, in every phrase, the diligence of preparation. They projected a strong spiritual feeling and allowed the human aspects of the narrative to show through clearly. The Wagnarian influence on the score was given added relevance by tenor Robert Johnston's characterisation of the soul - heroic, noble and only here and there less than assured in attack. Mezzo Catherine Hopper was equally assured and heartfelt in her dialogue with the Soul. No less consistent was baritone Benedict Nelson whose power and colour brought vigour to his part of the Angel and most particularly in the Angel of Agony's "Jesus by that shuddering dread that fell on thee..." Their diction and that of the choir was impeccable and the orchestra vivid in its performance of Elgar's intricate score.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 4 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 5 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 6 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 7 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 8 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 9 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 10 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates