Residents warn Swiss Cottage nightclub bid would ‘see return of drug dealing’
- Credit: Polly Hancock
A new basement nightclub threatens to bring back drug dealing and anti-social behaviour to the streets of Swiss Cottage, residents have warned.
Dozens have objected to plans to create a stage and dancefloor underneath a restaurant in Finchley Road, formerly La Voss, for private events.
New owners Business Training Line UK Ltd, which want to rebrand the eatery as The Piano Bar, have also bid to sell alcohol until 3.30am on Friday and Saturdays in a licensing application to be decided by councillors tonight.
But residents have warned that the proposals would see a return of the kind of anti-social behaviour they had to endure for 20 years when the notorious NWC nightclub in Finchley Road was open.
The club shut down two years ago following a brawl involving 40 clubbers armed with champagne bottles, knives and, reportedly, a firearm.
You may also want to watch:
Four people were stabbed.
Edie Raff, co-chairwoman of the Cresta House Residents’ Association, said: “We endured over 20 years of drug dealing, vomiting, and urinating on our doorsteps, and being woken up by noise.” Camden Police have also objected.
- 1 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 2 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 3 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 4 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 5 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 6 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 9 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 10 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
The applicant was contacted for comment.