Residents feel betrayed by broken post office promises
THE strength of feeling over the proposed closure of the Formosa Street post office in Maida Vale was evident when dozens of protesters took to the street to voice their opposition. Formosa Street may be just one of 169 London post offices earmarked for
THE strength of feeling over the proposed closure of the Formosa Street post office in Maida Vale was evident when dozens of protesters took to the street to voice their opposition.
Formosa Street may be just one of 169 London post offices earmarked for closure in this latest cull on this vital service - since privatisation 300 branches have already been closed in the capital as a result of a brutal destruction of what used to be a proud public service.
But for residents living in the area, a palpable sense of betrayal runs alongside the concern that an important part of what binds their local community is under threat.
Following the closure of the next nearest branch at Clifton Street in the earlier cull, they were assured that Formosa Street would remain open. Naturally they expected this to mean that it would operate for many years to come. Instead, it is now facing the axe and residents are right to complain that they have been let down by broken promises.
You may also want to watch:
Let's be frank, this is nothing more than a savage cost-cutting exercise. Residents in the area should continue to raise their voices as loudly as possible and they should be supported by every politician who still believes that post offices are among those important services which remain vital to the fabric and well-being of a community.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 7 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Camden men jailed for rape of teenager targeted by Tube station