Residents evacuated after early morning fire in Golders Green
Around 20 residents were evacuated from their homes in the early hours of this morning after a fire broke out in a block of flats in Golders Green.
Eight fire engines and around 40 fire fighters were called out to tackle the blaze above a parade of shops in Falloden Way at 2:43am.
Crews spent three hours tackling the blaze and had it under control by 5:43am.
The fire gutted one of the flats above the shops, as well as part of the roof of the three storey building.
Station manager Pushminder Vargarwal, who was at the scene, said: “Crews did really well to get this fire under control quickly. It’s believed it started in a second floor flat and then spread to the roof.
You may also want to watch:
“Around 20 people living in flats above the shops managed to leave the building before the fire brigade arrived. Luckily no-one was injured.”
Crews from Hendon, West Hampstead, Hornsey, Kentish Town, Barnet, Clerkenwell and Holloway fire stations attended the incident.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 3 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 4 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 5 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 6 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 7 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 8 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 9 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 10 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
The cause of the fire is under investigation.