Residents evacuated after early morning fire in Golders Green
Around 20 residents were evacuated from their homes in the early hours of this morning after a fire broke out in a block of flats in Golders Green.
Eight fire engines and around 40 fire fighters were called out to tackle the blaze above a parade of shops in Falloden Way at 2:43am.
Crews spent three hours tackling the blaze and had it under control by 5:43am.
The fire gutted one of the flats above the shops, as well as part of the roof of the three storey building.
Station manager Pushminder Vargarwal, who was at the scene, said: “Crews did really well to get this fire under control quickly. It’s believed it started in a second floor flat and then spread to the roof.
You may also want to watch:
“Around 20 people living in flats above the shops managed to leave the building before the fire brigade arrived. Luckily no-one was injured.”
Crews from Hendon, West Hampstead, Hornsey, Kentish Town, Barnet, Clerkenwell and Holloway fire stations attended the incident.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 7 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 8 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 9 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
The cause of the fire is under investigation.