Residents evacuated after early morning fire in Golders Green
Around 20 residents were evacuated from their homes in the early hours of this morning after a fire broke out in a block of flats in Golders Green.
Eight fire engines and around 40 fire fighters were called out to tackle the blaze above a parade of shops in Falloden Way at 2:43am.
Crews spent three hours tackling the blaze and had it under control by 5:43am.
The fire gutted one of the flats above the shops, as well as part of the roof of the three storey building.
Station manager Pushminder Vargarwal, who was at the scene, said: “Crews did really well to get this fire under control quickly. It’s believed it started in a second floor flat and then spread to the roof.
You may also want to watch:
“Around 20 people living in flats above the shops managed to leave the building before the fire brigade arrived. Luckily no-one was injured.”
Crews from Hendon, West Hampstead, Hornsey, Kentish Town, Barnet, Clerkenwell and Holloway fire stations attended the incident.
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 5 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 6 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 7 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 8 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 9 Top producer gives hit making masterclass
- 10 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
The cause of the fire is under investigation.