Residents call for ‘Boris bikes’ in Steeles Village
Campaigners in Steeles Village are gathering support for their bid to install “Boris bikes” and drive visitors to the area.
More than 220 people have signed an online petition which will be submitted to the Mayor of London’s office, with residents claiming the area is often overlooked because it sits between Chalk Farm and Belsize Park.
Jan Hemmler, from Steeles Village Flowers said: “We’re in the middle of two busy areas and we frequently get forgotten about.
“If people had access to the bikes it would encourage people to explore the area a bit more, and they would discover how many interesting little businesses and events there are here.”
The nearest bikes for hire are in Camden Town.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman from Transport for London said there were plans to extend the scheme to west London, but no funding is yet in place to expand the scheme northwards.
Mayor Boris Johnson has previously ruled out the possibility of moving the cycle hire scheme to Hampstead because the steep hill would lead to one-way traffic.
- 1 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 2 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 4 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 5 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 6 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 7 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 8 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 9 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 10 Teacher weaves seven-year tapestry of periodic table