Residents call for ‘Boris bikes’ in Steeles Village
Campaigners in Steeles Village are gathering support for their bid to install “Boris bikes” and drive visitors to the area.
More than 220 people have signed an online petition which will be submitted to the Mayor of London’s office, with residents claiming the area is often overlooked because it sits between Chalk Farm and Belsize Park.
Jan Hemmler, from Steeles Village Flowers said: “We’re in the middle of two busy areas and we frequently get forgotten about.
“If people had access to the bikes it would encourage people to explore the area a bit more, and they would discover how many interesting little businesses and events there are here.”
The nearest bikes for hire are in Camden Town.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman from Transport for London said there were plans to extend the scheme to west London, but no funding is yet in place to expand the scheme northwards.
Mayor Boris Johnson has previously ruled out the possibility of moving the cycle hire scheme to Hampstead because the steep hill would lead to one-way traffic.
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 4 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 5 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 6 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 7 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 8 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 9 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 10 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?