Residents call for ‘Boris bikes’ in Steeles Village
Campaigners in Steeles Village are gathering support for their bid to install “Boris bikes” and drive visitors to the area.
More than 220 people have signed an online petition which will be submitted to the Mayor of London’s office, with residents claiming the area is often overlooked because it sits between Chalk Farm and Belsize Park.
Jan Hemmler, from Steeles Village Flowers said: “We’re in the middle of two busy areas and we frequently get forgotten about.
“If people had access to the bikes it would encourage people to explore the area a bit more, and they would discover how many interesting little businesses and events there are here.”
The nearest bikes for hire are in Camden Town.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman from Transport for London said there were plans to extend the scheme to west London, but no funding is yet in place to expand the scheme northwards.
Mayor Boris Johnson has previously ruled out the possibility of moving the cycle hire scheme to Hampstead because the steep hill would lead to one-way traffic.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 4 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 5 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 6 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 7 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 8 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 9 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 10 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars