Residents call for ‘Boris bikes’ in Steeles Village
Campaigners in Steeles Village are gathering support for their bid to install “Boris bikes” and drive visitors to the area.
More than 220 people have signed an online petition which will be submitted to the Mayor of London’s office, with residents claiming the area is often overlooked because it sits between Chalk Farm and Belsize Park.
Jan Hemmler, from Steeles Village Flowers said: “We’re in the middle of two busy areas and we frequently get forgotten about.
“If people had access to the bikes it would encourage people to explore the area a bit more, and they would discover how many interesting little businesses and events there are here.”
The nearest bikes for hire are in Camden Town.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman from Transport for London said there were plans to extend the scheme to west London, but no funding is yet in place to expand the scheme northwards.
Mayor Boris Johnson has previously ruled out the possibility of moving the cycle hire scheme to Hampstead because the steep hill would lead to one-way traffic.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 9 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 10 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep