Remembrance Sunday marked in Camden and Haringey
- Credit: Archant
Silence fell at services throughout Camden to mark Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday.
at services throughout Camden and Haringey to mark Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday.
Crowds gathered at war memorials to lay wreaths to those who lost their lives in wars and pay respect to surviving veterans and members of the armed forces.
A two-minute silence fell over the Whitestone Pond Hampstead War Memorial on Friday as religious leaders came together.
Monsignor Phelim Rowland, of St Mary’s Parish Church, Rev. Diana Young, of Hampstead Parish Church, Rabbi Jonathan Wittenberg of the New North London Synagogue and Shiekh Dr Muhammad Al-Hussaini, fellow in Islamic Studies at the Westminster Institute in London, gathered.
You may also want to watch:
Traffic was brought to a standstill as Manu Raffray, 14, a pupil at William Ellis School, played the Last Post and the Reveille on his trumpet.
Mayor of Camden Nadia Shah then moved on to lay a wreath at St Michael’s Curch, in Camden Town.
- 1 O2 Centre redevelopment consultation opened by Camden Council
- 2 Government punishes Haringey Council over missed housing target
- 3 Remembering 'positive, caring and kind' Hornsey pupil Amy
- 4 'Two people who love each other': 70 years together for Hermi and Shirley
- 5 'Dumped and forgotten': Homeless families on life in England's Lane hostel
- 6 Talking Bob Dylan, life, culture, politics and Shakespeare
- 7 I completely trust Aubameyang says Arsenal boss Arteta
- 8 UCS Hampstead pupils launch podcast to help GCSE history revision
- 9 West Hampstead flat owners face £100k bills for flammable cladding
- 10 Keir Starmer: 'Something about faith becomes more important to people'
On Sunday, a service of remembrance was held at St Pancras Church, Euston Road, where Holborn and St Pancras MP Sir Keir Starmer joined Ms Shah and Camden’s deputy mayor Richard Cotton and laid a wreath.
There were also services at the Prisoner Of War Memorial, in Mornington Crescent, where former POW Alfonso Antonio Garizio, 97, attended.
Hornsey and Wood Green MP Catherine West joined the service at Hornsey War Memorial, in Park Road, Crouch End. The Last Post was sounded by Mike Hurford, London Metropolitan Brass.