Remember, remember... Ally Pally fireworks are cancelled
Famous display to celebrate the 5th of November axed because of spending pressures
AS bonfire night approaches, Ally Pally chiefs are reminding people that the famous fireworks display at the Palace will not be going ahead this year on what should have been its 20th anniversary.
The Broadway reported in July that the annual display - which attracts more than 70,000 spectators a year - has been axed due to financial concerns but organisers are still at pains to let everyone know the event will not be going ahead in order to avoid disappointment.
Last year, the display left the board of trustees with a �63,000 bill, even with members of the public giving voluntary donations.
And because of police and the council asking for more money for their part in ensuring safety and closing roads, the trust estimated they could have found themselves more than �70,000 out of pocket.
You may also want to watch:
The money saved will instead be spent on urgent repairs needed on the building.
Chair of the Alexandra Park and Palace Board of Trustees Cllr Pat Egan said: “Faced with even higher stewarding and traffic and crowd control costs for the 2010 event and against a climate of impending public sector cuts, we reluctantly felt we couldn’t risk what might potentially be an even bigger shortfall this year.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 6 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 7 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
“It was a real struggle to come to the decision, especially as it is a really well supported community event with a great atmosphere enjoyed by thousands every year.
“However, the money we save will be used for urgent repairs to the fabric of the building – something which must take priority in today’s economic climate.
“We have issued this reminder to make sure that people who wish to see a display this year make alternative arrangements to avoid disappointment.”
A spokeswoman for Alexandra Palace said they are already working hard to find alternative sources of funding to try to can bring back a fireworks display in 2011.