Remember, bunnies are forever, not just for Easter
Over the next few weeks, thousands of local adults will be tempted to buy an Easter rabbit for a beloved child, godchild, grandchild, niece, or nephew. A few months from now, our local animal shelters will be, as they are every year, inundated by a flood
Over the next few weeks, thousands of local adults will be tempted to buy an Easter rabbit for a beloved child, godchild, grandchild, niece, or nephew. A few months from now, our local animal shelters will be, as they are every year, inundated by a flood of cast-off bunnies. I would ask that everyone who is considering buying a rabbit this year stop and think about two important facts:
First, although rabbits can make wonderful pets, they are naturally fragile and timid. An active child who expects a cuddly pet can easily terrify or even injure a rabbit.
Second, a well cared for rabbit should live as long as large dog (ten years or more) and will require just as much love, attention, and veterinary care (often very expensive) as a dog or cat would. So don't give an Easter rabbit to a child unless you know that the child's parents will be happy to take on a decade-long commitment.
If you want to make a child's Easter happy, don't give a live rabbit unless you know it will be loved and cared for throughout its natural life. If there's any doubt, give a stuffed or chocolate bunny instead.
You may also want to watch:
roderick road, nw3 ( member of rabbit welfare association)
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 5 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 6 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 7 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 8 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 9 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
- 10 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat