Recycling must be a genuine process
I wish to endorse wholeheartedly Alexis Rowell s comments on commingling and recycling (H&H letters October 2). Commingling and recycling are two very different concepts, and it is a great shame that many Camden residents believe they are active recyclers
I wish to endorse wholeheartedly Alexis Rowell's comments on commingling and recycling (H&H letters October 2).
Commingling and recycling are two very different concepts, and it is a great shame that many Camden residents believe they are active recyclers, when so little of their recycle material is meaningfully recycled.
It is not realistic to expect residents to carry their recycle waste to on-street separated recycle bins. Hence, until commingling ends, much of our waste will continue to be shipped abroad, or end up as hardcore.
If it costs more to do this properly, then so be it. There is little to commend the present system other than cost.
You may also want to watch:
I realise that there are contracts involved here, and that it is unrealistic to simply end commingling overnight. But it would be brilliant if Camden could commit to ending commingling at the earliest date that contracts allow.
Then the effort that so many of us go to maximise our re-cycling will be justified.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 3 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 10 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
Wedderburn Road, NW3