Recipe with Baharat Indian restaurant in South Woodford
Serves TwoPreparation time 20 minutesCooking time 15 minutes
IngredientsFor the curry:400-600g sea bass fillet (mackerel or any white fish can be used as an alternative) 2 tbsp of olive oil2 medium onions, finely sliced3 cloves garlic, finely choppedSalt2-3 curry leaves1 heaped tsp of turmeric1/2 tsp of cumin powder1/2 tsp of coriander powder1/4 tsp of chilli powderA pinch Kalonji (also known as Nigella seeds or black onion seeds) 1 heaped tsp of mustard seeds, coarsely crushedFresh coriander leaves, finely chopped125ml of water
For the rice:225g of basmati rice (for 2 healthy servings) 300ml of water Salt MethodFor the rice
•Wash the rice in several changes of cold water, then leave to soak for about 15-20 minutes in fresh cold water. Although rinsing and soaking rice is not necessary, it does help to lighten the grain and helps you get lovely, fluffy rice.
•Drain the rice and place it in a medium saucepan.
•Add the water and salt, bring to the boil and cover with a tight-fitting lid. If the lid isn’t very tight, cover the pan with aluminium foil before putting the lid on top.
•Turn the heat to low and leave to cook for 10 minutes before turning off the heat. Don’t lift off the lid; just leave the rice to continue cooking in the pan for a few minutes until you’re ready to serve. The rice should have absorbed all the water and will just need fluffing up with a fork.
- 1 Positives for Arsenal despite missing top four
- 2 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 3 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 4 Parliament Hill flower shop comes to pupils' rescue
- 5 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 6 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 7 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 8 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 9 Harry Hill's Tony Blair rock opera premieres at Park Theatre
- 10 Nazanin was 'forced' to sign false confession by Iran
For the curry •Heat the oil in a pan then add the onions, garlic, curry leaves, Kalonji and a pinch of salt and fry until the onions soften. •Add the turmeric, coriander, chilli and cumin, stir well and fry, ensuring the pan/spices do not burn. •Add the mustard seeds and a little water and let the spices simmer for a few minutes.•Add the sea bass, stir, cover the pan and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes. The sea bass will release water.•If necessary, add a little more water, some fresh coriander and simmer for a further 5 minutes.•Add salt to taste, garnish with fresh coriander and serve with the plain basmati boiled rice.