Recipe: Spelt and Vegetable Soup with Pistou
150g pearled spelt, faro orpearl barley11/2 litres vegetable stock2 leeksHalf a savoy cabage150g purple sproutingbroccoli150g spring greens1 stick celery4 large spring onionsLarge handful fresh herbs(parsley, chives, mint, basil)2 cloves garliczest half a lemon100ml olive oil
1. To make the pistou place the cloves of garlic in the bowlof a food processor with a large pinch of salt and blitz until the garlic forms a pulp.2. Add the herbs and olive oil and process until it forms a rough purée. Season to taste and set aside.
3. To make the soup pour the vegetable stock into a large heavy based saucepan, bring to the boil and add the pearled spelt.
4. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or until the spelt is just tender.
5. Finely shred the cabbage, leeks, celery, spring greens,spring onions and chop the purple sprouting broccoli into1cm lengths.
You may also want to watch:
6. Add to the saucepan and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are just cooked.
7. Ladle into individual bowls and top each with a largedollop of pistou and serve with lightly grilled slices of rustic bread.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 3 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 4 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 6 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 9 Ken Clarke's Infected Blood Inquiry words were 'offensive' – campaigners
- 10 Letter on shopping for one!
8. Season to taste and loosen with a little more olive oil if liked.