Recipe: Spelt and Vegetable Soup with Pistou
150g pearled spelt, faro orpearl barley11/2 litres vegetable stock2 leeksHalf a savoy cabage150g purple sproutingbroccoli150g spring greens1 stick celery4 large spring onionsLarge handful fresh herbs(parsley, chives, mint, basil)2 cloves garliczest half a lemon100ml olive oil
1. To make the pistou place the cloves of garlic in the bowlof a food processor with a large pinch of salt and blitz until the garlic forms a pulp.2. Add the herbs and olive oil and process until it forms a rough purée. Season to taste and set aside.
3. To make the soup pour the vegetable stock into a large heavy based saucepan, bring to the boil and add the pearled spelt.
4. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or until the spelt is just tender.
5. Finely shred the cabbage, leeks, celery, spring greens,spring onions and chop the purple sprouting broccoli into1cm lengths.
You may also want to watch:
6. Add to the saucepan and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are just cooked.
7. Ladle into individual bowls and top each with a largedollop of pistou and serve with lightly grilled slices of rustic bread.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 3 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 6 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 7 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 8 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
8. Season to taste and loosen with a little more olive oil if liked.