Recipe: Pickled Beetroot and Lemon
This is a great way of using up a glut of beetroot in the garden and it makes a magenta-bright and tangy pickle. It's lovely with cheese and also home baked ham.
1.5kg fresh beetroot2 large lemons2 large onions450ml distilled white wine vinegar60g granulated sugarpinch ground cinnamon
1. Prepare the beetroot by cutting the leaves off but leaving a 2cm stem at the top and leaving the trailing root intact.
2. Wash then cook the beetroot in simmering salted water for 20 minutes or until the skin peels away easily.
3. Set aside and allow to cool.4. Peel and thinly slice the onions and thinly slice the lemons, removing any pips.5. Pour the vinegar into a large pan, add the lemons, onions, sugar and cinnamon and simmer for a couple of minutes.
You may also want to watch:
6. Remove the lemons and onions with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
7. Peel and thinly slice the beetroot and layer with the lemons in large preserving jars.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 6 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 9 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
8. Pour the vinegar over and seal the jars.