Recipe: Pickled Beetroot and Lemon
This is a great way of using up a glut of beetroot in the garden and it makes a magenta-bright and tangy pickle. It's lovely with cheese and also home baked ham.
1.5kg fresh beetroot2 large lemons2 large onions450ml distilled white wine vinegar60g granulated sugarpinch ground cinnamon
1. Prepare the beetroot by cutting the leaves off but leaving a 2cm stem at the top and leaving the trailing root intact.
2. Wash then cook the beetroot in simmering salted water for 20 minutes or until the skin peels away easily.
3. Set aside and allow to cool.4. Peel and thinly slice the onions and thinly slice the lemons, removing any pips.5. Pour the vinegar into a large pan, add the lemons, onions, sugar and cinnamon and simmer for a couple of minutes.
You may also want to watch:
6. Remove the lemons and onions with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
7. Peel and thinly slice the beetroot and layer with the lemons in large preserving jars.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 3 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 4 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 6 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 7 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 8 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 9 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 10 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham
8. Pour the vinegar over and seal the jars.