Recipe: Pickled Beetroot and Lemon
This is a great way of using up a glut of beetroot in the garden and it makes a magenta-bright and tangy pickle. It's lovely with cheese and also home baked ham.
1.5kg fresh beetroot2 large lemons2 large onions450ml distilled white wine vinegar60g granulated sugarpinch ground cinnamon
1. Prepare the beetroot by cutting the leaves off but leaving a 2cm stem at the top and leaving the trailing root intact.
2. Wash then cook the beetroot in simmering salted water for 20 minutes or until the skin peels away easily.
3. Set aside and allow to cool.4. Peel and thinly slice the onions and thinly slice the lemons, removing any pips.5. Pour the vinegar into a large pan, add the lemons, onions, sugar and cinnamon and simmer for a couple of minutes.
6. Remove the lemons and onions with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
7. Peel and thinly slice the beetroot and layer with the lemons in large preserving jars.
- 1 'Unimaginable loss': Father and daughter stabbed to death in north London
- 2 Covid-19: Omicron variant case confirmed in Camden
- 3 Camden Market has major makeover with new cinema, shops and food stalls
- 4 Stunning light trail wraps up Kenwood like a giant Christmas present
- 5 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 6 Barnet chemist named independent pharmacy of the year
- 7 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 8 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 9 PLU: St John's Wood restaurant finds the right formula
- 10 Highgate's new butcher offers wine pairing and cooking advice
8. Pour the vinegar over and seal the jars.