Recipe: Pickled Beetroot and Lemon
This is a great way of using up a glut of beetroot in the garden and it makes a magenta-bright and tangy pickle. It's lovely with cheese and also home baked ham.
1.5kg fresh beetroot2 large lemons2 large onions450ml distilled white wine vinegar60g granulated sugarpinch ground cinnamon
1. Prepare the beetroot by cutting the leaves off but leaving a 2cm stem at the top and leaving the trailing root intact.
2. Wash then cook the beetroot in simmering salted water for 20 minutes or until the skin peels away easily.
3. Set aside and allow to cool.4. Peel and thinly slice the onions and thinly slice the lemons, removing any pips.5. Pour the vinegar into a large pan, add the lemons, onions, sugar and cinnamon and simmer for a couple of minutes.
You may also want to watch:
6. Remove the lemons and onions with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
7. Peel and thinly slice the beetroot and layer with the lemons in large preserving jars.
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 7 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 8 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 9 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 10 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
8. Pour the vinegar over and seal the jars.