Recipe of the month
Kentish seasonal recipe of the month
Friday Street Farm asparagus with crispy quail egg
500 gm Blanched Friday Street Farm asparagus
2 Large English onions, sliced
You may also want to watch:
10 gm Each of Rosemary and Thyme
150 gm Unsalted English butter
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 3 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 4 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 7 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 8 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 9 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 10 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
2 litres Chicken stock
100 ml Double cream
200 gm Fresh breadcrumbs
12 Quail eggs
100 ml White wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to season
Warm a large saucepan on a low heat. Add half the butter and sliced onions, cook gently for 10 minutes until onions are softened. Add chicken stock, rosemary and thyme. Bring to the boil and reduce by half. Add the double cream and asparagus. Bring back to the boil and using a hand held blender, blend until smooth. Season and chill.
Bring a pan of water to the boil. Put the vinegar in a bowl and gently break the quail eggs into a bowl so that the yolks do not break. Leave for five minutes so that the acidity of the vinegar starts to cook the whites, making them easier to cook. Gently lower the eggs into the boiling water, stir for 30 seconds and remove from the heat into a bowl of cold water to chill. Remove the quail eggs once chilled and roll in the breadcrumbs until evenly coated. Set aside.
The soup can be served chilled or warm. To serve deep fry the quail eggs for one minute. Place three in each bowl and pour the soup over. Serve immediately.