Recipe for Mulled Wine Poached Pears
Mulled Wine Poached Pears
1 pint red wine
8 ozs sugar
1 Countryside Fayre Christmas Mulled Wine Sachet
6 pears peeled with stems intact
You may also want to watch:
In a large pot combine the wine and sugar. Stir gently until sugar is dissolved. Add the Mulled Wine Sachet.
Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each pear. Add the pears to the liquid on their sides and adjust the heat to keep the liquid at a gentle simmer.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 6 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 7 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Camden men jailed for rape of teenager targeted by Tube station
Cook, partially covered, for 15 - 20 minutes, depending on the pears' ripeness. Turn frequently to make sure the fruit absorbs the colour from the wine evenly. The pears will pierce easily with a skewer when they are tender.
To serve, bring the pear and liquid to room temperature. Reheat them gently in hot liquid for a few minutes. Transfer the pears to a serving dish and strain the cooking juices into a smaller pot.
Let the cooking juices simmer steadily for 5 minutes or until they cook down to a thick sauce. Spoon the mixture over the pears.
Caroline Saunders and Kate Davies
Coombe Bottom Farm, The Coombe,
Streatley, Berkshire RG8 9QT
Tel: 01491 879013