Recipe for Mulled Wine Poached Pears
Mulled Wine Poached Pears
1 pint red wine
8 ozs sugar
1 Countryside Fayre Christmas Mulled Wine Sachet
6 pears peeled with stems intact
You may also want to watch:
In a large pot combine the wine and sugar. Stir gently until sugar is dissolved. Add the Mulled Wine Sachet.
Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each pear. Add the pears to the liquid on their sides and adjust the heat to keep the liquid at a gentle simmer.
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 3 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 4 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 5 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 6 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 7 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 8 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 9 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans
- 10 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
Cook, partially covered, for 15 - 20 minutes, depending on the pears' ripeness. Turn frequently to make sure the fruit absorbs the colour from the wine evenly. The pears will pierce easily with a skewer when they are tender.
To serve, bring the pear and liquid to room temperature. Reheat them gently in hot liquid for a few minutes. Transfer the pears to a serving dish and strain the cooking juices into a smaller pot.
Let the cooking juices simmer steadily for 5 minutes or until they cook down to a thick sauce. Spoon the mixture over the pears.
Caroline Saunders and Kate Davies
Coombe Bottom Farm, The Coombe,
Streatley, Berkshire RG8 9QT
Tel: 01491 879013