Recipe for Mulled Wine Poached Pears
Mulled Wine Poached Pears
1 pint red wine
8 ozs sugar
1 Countryside Fayre Christmas Mulled Wine Sachet
6 pears peeled with stems intact
You may also want to watch:
In a large pot combine the wine and sugar. Stir gently until sugar is dissolved. Add the Mulled Wine Sachet.
Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each pear. Add the pears to the liquid on their sides and adjust the heat to keep the liquid at a gentle simmer.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 4 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 7 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 8 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
Cook, partially covered, for 15 - 20 minutes, depending on the pears' ripeness. Turn frequently to make sure the fruit absorbs the colour from the wine evenly. The pears will pierce easily with a skewer when they are tender.
To serve, bring the pear and liquid to room temperature. Reheat them gently in hot liquid for a few minutes. Transfer the pears to a serving dish and strain the cooking juices into a smaller pot.
Let the cooking juices simmer steadily for 5 minutes or until they cook down to a thick sauce. Spoon the mixture over the pears.
Caroline Saunders and Kate Davies
Coombe Bottom Farm, The Coombe,
Streatley, Berkshire RG8 9QT
Tel: 01491 879013