Recipe for Mulled Wine Poached Pears
Mulled Wine Poached Pears
1 pint red wine
8 ozs sugar
1 Countryside Fayre Christmas Mulled Wine Sachet
6 pears peeled with stems intact
You may also want to watch:
In a large pot combine the wine and sugar. Stir gently until sugar is dissolved. Add the Mulled Wine Sachet.
Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each pear. Add the pears to the liquid on their sides and adjust the heat to keep the liquid at a gentle simmer.
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 3 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 4 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 5 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 6 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 7 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 8 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 9 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
Cook, partially covered, for 15 - 20 minutes, depending on the pears' ripeness. Turn frequently to make sure the fruit absorbs the colour from the wine evenly. The pears will pierce easily with a skewer when they are tender.
To serve, bring the pear and liquid to room temperature. Reheat them gently in hot liquid for a few minutes. Transfer the pears to a serving dish and strain the cooking juices into a smaller pot.
Let the cooking juices simmer steadily for 5 minutes or until they cook down to a thick sauce. Spoon the mixture over the pears.
Caroline Saunders and Kate Davies
Coombe Bottom Farm, The Coombe,
Streatley, Berkshire RG8 9QT
Tel: 01491 879013