Recipe for Mulled Wine Poached Pears
Mulled Wine Poached Pears
1 pint red wine
8 ozs sugar
1 Countryside Fayre Christmas Mulled Wine Sachet
6 pears peeled with stems intact
In a large pot combine the wine and sugar. Stir gently until sugar is dissolved. Add the Mulled Wine Sachet.
Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each pear. Add the pears to the liquid on their sides and adjust the heat to keep the liquid at a gentle simmer.
- 1 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 2 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 3 Calls for removal of South End Green phone box
- 4 Belsize Village restaurant hires young Ukrainian refugee
- 5 Campaign launched after girl suffers fractured ribs from e-scooter crash
- 6 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 7 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 8 Camden teacher's cycle ride to find a cure for daughter's 'sleeping beauty' syndrome
- 9 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
- 10 Two-year waitlist for mental health patients at Tavistock Centre
Cook, partially covered, for 15 - 20 minutes, depending on the pears' ripeness. Turn frequently to make sure the fruit absorbs the colour from the wine evenly. The pears will pierce easily with a skewer when they are tender.
To serve, bring the pear and liquid to room temperature. Reheat them gently in hot liquid for a few minutes. Transfer the pears to a serving dish and strain the cooking juices into a smaller pot.
Let the cooking juices simmer steadily for 5 minutes or until they cook down to a thick sauce. Spoon the mixture over the pears.
Caroline Saunders and Kate Davies
Coombe Bottom Farm, The Coombe,
Streatley, Berkshire RG8 9QT
Tel: 01491 879013