Recipe: Chicken Stew with Dumplings
Ingredients:5 cups (1.25 L) chicken stock (approx)14 chicken thighs (about 4 lb/2 kg), skinned1 bunch small carrots (about 7), peeled and cut in half diagonally4 potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes2 cups (500 mL) pearl onions (284 g pkg), peeled3 tbsp (50 mL) butter3 stalks celery, chopped1 onion, chopped2 cups (500 mL) small button mushrooms (about 8 oz/250 g)1/3 cup (75 mL) all-purpose flour1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen peas1/4 cup (50 mL) whipping creamDumplings:2 cups (500 mL) sifted cake-and-pastry flour2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt2 tbsp (25 mL) butter3/4 cup (175 mL) milk (approx)
In a large Dutch oven, bring chicken stock to boil. Add chicken; cover and simmer over medium-low heat until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 30 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer to plate; let cool. Remove meat from bones; cut into bite-size chunks.
Add carrots and potatoes to stock; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add pearl onions; simmer, covered, just until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to plate. Pour stock into large measuring cup; if necessary, add more chicken stock to make 5 cups (1.25 L).
In same pan, melt butter over medium-high heat; cook celery, onion and mushrooms, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add flour, thyme, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in reserved stock; bring to boil, stirring. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until thick enough to coat back of spoon. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan. Add carrot mixture, peas and cream, stirring to combine.
- 1 Cycle lanes welcomed by riders but traders express frustration
- 2 'No one hurt' as branch crashes to ground at Hampstead Heath
- 3 Olivia Newton-John: From West Hampstead to worldwide fame
- 4 Cement lorry leaks 'concrete puddle' onto Highgate road
- 5 Liz Truss backs a fully inclusive conversion therapy ban, says MP
- 6 'The 214 to Provence: Where catching a London bus can take you'
- 7 Elderly disabled woman 'racially abused' on Camden bus
- 8 Crouch End baker awarded Badge of the Order of Mercy for his charity work
- 9 Under-fire King William IV supporters rally behind pub with petition
- 10 People flouting barbecue ban in Waterlow Park
Dumplings: In bowl, whisk together flour, parsley, baking powder and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until in coarse crumbs. Using fork, stir in enough milk to make sticky spoonable dough. Leaving space around each, drop by tablespoonfuls (15 mL) onto simmering stew; cover and cook, without lifting lid, for 15 minutes or until dumplings are no longer doughy underneath.