Recipe: Chicken Stew with Dumplings
Ingredients:5 cups (1.25 L) chicken stock (approx)14 chicken thighs (about 4 lb/2 kg), skinned1 bunch small carrots (about 7), peeled and cut in half diagonally4 potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes2 cups (500 mL) pearl onions (284 g pkg), peeled3 tbsp (50 mL) butter3 stalks celery, chopped1 onion, chopped2 cups (500 mL) small button mushrooms (about 8 oz/250 g)1/3 cup (75 mL) all-purpose flour1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen peas1/4 cup (50 mL) whipping creamDumplings:2 cups (500 mL) sifted cake-and-pastry flour2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt2 tbsp (25 mL) butter3/4 cup (175 mL) milk (approx)
In a large Dutch oven, bring chicken stock to boil. Add chicken; cover and simmer over medium-low heat until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 30 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer to plate; let cool. Remove meat from bones; cut into bite-size chunks.
You may also want to watch:
Add carrots and potatoes to stock; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add pearl onions; simmer, covered, just until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to plate. Pour stock into large measuring cup; if necessary, add more chicken stock to make 5 cups (1.25 L).
In same pan, melt butter over medium-high heat; cook celery, onion and mushrooms, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add flour, thyme, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in reserved stock; bring to boil, stirring. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until thick enough to coat back of spoon. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan. Add carrot mixture, peas and cream, stirring to combine.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 6 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 9 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 10 Camden, Haringey and Barnet mark Holocaust Memorial Day
Dumplings: In bowl, whisk together flour, parsley, baking powder and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until in coarse crumbs. Using fork, stir in enough milk to make sticky spoonable dough. Leaving space around each, drop by tablespoonfuls (15 mL) onto simmering stew; cover and cook, without lifting lid, for 15 minutes or until dumplings are no longer doughy underneath.