Recipe: Bread & Butter Pickle
This makes a wonderfully juicy and crunchy sweetly-tart pickle and is a great accompaniment to cold meats, cheese and pté. It is also very tasty in a cheese sandwich.
3 large cucumbers2 large white onions450ml distilled white wine vinegar250g granulated sugar3tbsp salt1 tbsp celery seed2 tbsp mustard seedpinch ground ginger
1. Thinly slice the cucumbers and peel and finely slice the onions.
2. Extract excess water by covering with the salt and leaving overnight.
3. Rinse the cucumber and onion and gently pat dry.
You may also want to watch:
4. Pour the vinegar into a large pan with the mustard and celery seeds, pinch of ground ginger and sugar and heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
5. Bring to the boil, add the cucumber and onion and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables have softened but not disintegrated.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Mikel Arteta in dark over format of Arsenal and Benfica's Europa League tie
- 4 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 5 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 6 Arsenal forward Katie Godden joins Charlton Athletic
- 7 Camden Council 'considers' bringing leisure centres in-house post-Covid
- 8 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 9 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 10 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
6.Pour into preserving jars, seal and leave for a couple of months before eating.