Recipe: Bread & Butter Pickle
This makes a wonderfully juicy and crunchy sweetly-tart pickle and is a great accompaniment to cold meats, cheese and pté. It is also very tasty in a cheese sandwich.
3 large cucumbers2 large white onions450ml distilled white wine vinegar250g granulated sugar3tbsp salt1 tbsp celery seed2 tbsp mustard seedpinch ground ginger
1. Thinly slice the cucumbers and peel and finely slice the onions.
2. Extract excess water by covering with the salt and leaving overnight.
3. Rinse the cucumber and onion and gently pat dry.
You may also want to watch:
4. Pour the vinegar into a large pan with the mustard and celery seeds, pinch of ground ginger and sugar and heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
5. Bring to the boil, add the cucumber and onion and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables have softened but not disintegrated.
- 1 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 2 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 3 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 4 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 7 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 8 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 9 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 10 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
6.Pour into preserving jars, seal and leave for a couple of months before eating.