Recipe: Bread & Butter Pickle
This makes a wonderfully juicy and crunchy sweetly-tart pickle and is a great accompaniment to cold meats, cheese and pté. It is also very tasty in a cheese sandwich.
3 large cucumbers2 large white onions450ml distilled white wine vinegar250g granulated sugar3tbsp salt1 tbsp celery seed2 tbsp mustard seedpinch ground ginger
1. Thinly slice the cucumbers and peel and finely slice the onions.
2. Extract excess water by covering with the salt and leaving overnight.
3. Rinse the cucumber and onion and gently pat dry.
4. Pour the vinegar into a large pan with the mustard and celery seeds, pinch of ground ginger and sugar and heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
5. Bring to the boil, add the cucumber and onion and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables have softened but not disintegrated.
- 2 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 3 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 4 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 5 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 6 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 7 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 8 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 9 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 10 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
6.Pour into preserving jars, seal and leave for a couple of months before eating.