Recipe: Bread & Butter Pickle
This makes a wonderfully juicy and crunchy sweetly-tart pickle and is a great accompaniment to cold meats, cheese and pté. It is also very tasty in a cheese sandwich.
3 large cucumbers2 large white onions450ml distilled white wine vinegar250g granulated sugar3tbsp salt1 tbsp celery seed2 tbsp mustard seedpinch ground ginger
1. Thinly slice the cucumbers and peel and finely slice the onions.
2. Extract excess water by covering with the salt and leaving overnight.
3. Rinse the cucumber and onion and gently pat dry.
You may also want to watch:
4. Pour the vinegar into a large pan with the mustard and celery seeds, pinch of ground ginger and sugar and heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
5. Bring to the boil, add the cucumber and onion and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables have softened but not disintegrated.
- 1 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 2 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 3 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 6 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 7 Five things we learned from Arsenal's Europa League exit
- 8 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 9 Seven things to do in Hampstead and Highgate after May 17
- 10 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
6.Pour into preserving jars, seal and leave for a couple of months before eating.