Recipe: Bread & Butter Pickle
This makes a wonderfully juicy and crunchy sweetly-tart pickle and is a great accompaniment to cold meats, cheese and pté. It is also very tasty in a cheese sandwich.
3 large cucumbers2 large white onions450ml distilled white wine vinegar250g granulated sugar3tbsp salt1 tbsp celery seed2 tbsp mustard seedpinch ground ginger
1. Thinly slice the cucumbers and peel and finely slice the onions.
2. Extract excess water by covering with the salt and leaving overnight.
3. Rinse the cucumber and onion and gently pat dry.
You may also want to watch:
4. Pour the vinegar into a large pan with the mustard and celery seeds, pinch of ground ginger and sugar and heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
5. Bring to the boil, add the cucumber and onion and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables have softened but not disintegrated.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 6 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 10 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
6.Pour into preserving jars, seal and leave for a couple of months before eating.