Ramos would prefer to start season at White Hart Lane
JUANDE Ramos this week said he was disappointed that Spurs were not starting the new Premier League season with a home game at the Lane, writes Patrick Mooney. Tottenham visit Middlesbrough at the Riverside on the opening day – August 16 – before entertai
JUANDE Ramos this week said he was disappointed that Spurs were not starting the new Premier League season with a home game at the Lane, writes Patrick Mooney.
Tottenham visit Middlesbrough at the Riverside on the opening day - August 16 - before entertaining another north-east club, Roy Keane's Sunderland, on August 23.
"It would have been good to have begun the new campaign at home in front of our supporters," said Ramos.
"The opening games of a new season are important as we want to make the best start possible, keep confidence high and put ourselves in a strong position in the standings.
You may also want to watch:
"It does not matter what order we play our games - every game is important to us and we have to play everyone over the course of the season."
Spurs visit Chelsea on the third weekend of the season - August 30 - and Ramos is looking forward to pitting his wits against the Blues new manager Big Phil Scolari. The Lilywhites beat the Blues in the final of the Carling Cup at Wembley in February.
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 4 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 5 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 6 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 7 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 8 Top producer gives hit making masterclass
- 9 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
- 10 'You're welcome here': Best pals, 12, make care packages for Afghan refugees
"We play Chelsea early on and I think it will be a significant match for both teams, even at that stage," he said. "From previous experience I am sure it will be a very passionate contest and I hope the team will go into the game on the back of having collected positive results in our first two games."
The first north London derby against Arsenal is at The Emirates Stadium on October 28, with the Lane return on February 7.
Spurs face a testing end to the league season. Their last three fixtures include trips to Everton and Liverpool and a home meeting with Manchester City.
Tottenham start with pre-season programme at Norwich City on Monday July 28. They then travel to Holland for the Feyenoord Tournament where they play against Celtic (August 1) and Borussia Dortmund (August 3). They will play AS Roma in their final pre-season friendly on Sunday August 10 at the Lane.