Rainbow George reveals Lord Lucan secrets after 40 years
- Credit: Archant
Rainbow George, political dreamer and Hampstead’s self-styled “village idiot”, is not known for being especially publicity-shy.
His appearances in this diary alone are legion, while his home is filled with countless press cuttings about his wacky deeds or latest political party.
Yet despite his history of close contact with journalists, the 74-year-old – real name George Weiss – has apparently been sitting on a news bombshell of epic proportions these past 40 years.
According to a Daily Mirror front page exclusive on Friday, Mr Weiss – who now lives in Highgate – has finally broken his silence on why his “friend” Lord Lucan was driven to kill in 1974.
He said the aristocrat murdered his nanny after a kitten he had sent to his children and estranged wife was posted back through his door with its throat cut.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Weiss told the paper: “He saw no way back into family life and the life of his children. It tipped him over the edge and it made him decide to uncreate his wife.”
Mr Weiss said he heard about the cat while playing backgammon with Lucan the day before Sandra Rivett was bludgeoned to death and his wife Veronica attacked.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 3 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 4 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 5 Arsenal held by Aston Villa on final day of WSL season
- 6 Belsize cameraman remembers Jim Henson and The Muppet Show
- 7 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 8 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 9 Graham goal gives Tottenham win at Birmingham in WSL finale
- 10 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
He added: “I believe he was plotting his wife’s murder. He was in a world of his own.”