Radio 1 DJ hopes to go underground
RADIO 1 DJ Edith Bowman is hoping to go deeper underground in search of more space, after failing to persuade a neighbour to sell up. According to new planning documents, Ms Bowman is the latest homeowner bidding to expand her pad, which stands on the edg
RADIO 1 DJ Edith Bowman is hoping to go deeper underground in search of more space, after failing to persuade a neighbour to sell up.
According to new planning documents, Ms Bowman is the latest homeowner bidding to expand her pad, which stands on the edge of Hampstead Heath, by digging a new basement.
The DJ, whose partner Tom Smith fronts the band The Editors, failed to persuade her neighbour to sell up and is now hoping planners at Camden Council will be easier to convince.
Basement excavations are proving to be the chosen 'modus operandi' for homeowners around Hampstead looking to extend their houses. The underground developments have proved controversial because of their effect on surrounding foundations and the water table. Under pressure from the Heath and Hampstead Society, Camden Council recently created guidelines that should be followed by planners when considering basement plans.
You may also want to watch:
But Ms Bowman, who has a young baby, should not expect too much opposition from her own neighbours who include Monty Python star Michael Palin.
One resident of the Gospel Oak street said: "I like the street and I like the people who live here and if it is a temporary irritation I would not object at all. I like them as neighbours and if they need the space and that is their way of solving it then I hope they get permission."
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 3 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 4 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 5 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 6 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 7 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 8 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 9 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 10 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham
Another neighbour said: "I am a bit concerned about the water table but people are always altering their homes.