'Racist' teacher banned from teaching
A FORMER Highgate Wood School teacher has been banned from teaching after he made a series of racist comments to pupils. On Friday, the General Teaching Council found Adeniyi Kolade guilty of unacceptable professional conduct during his time as a supply
A FORMER Highgate Wood School teacher has been banned from teaching after he made a series of racist comments to pupils.
On Friday, the General Teaching Council found Adeniyi Kolade guilty of unacceptable professional conduct during his time as a supply teacher at the Montenotte Road secondary school in 2006.
The comments, made in November 2006, include an incident where Mr Kolade, from Edgware, called a pupil "chinky", the council heard.
He was also found to have told Year 7 pupils "Black people these days don't get the right education," and "Bad people come from bad families."
The council imposed a suspension order of six months on Mr Kolade, during which he will not be eligible to register as a teacher and must undergo training in diversity awareness.
David Storrie, chairman of the council, said: "In using such expressions, Mr Kolade demonstrated a lack of cultural sensitivity and a tendency towards racial stereotyping.
- 1 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 2 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 3 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 4 What is the rare 'monkeypox' being treated at the Royal Free?
- 5 Businesses hail return of Highgate's Fair in the Square
- 6 TfL: Revamped Northern line latest addition to ever-improving network
- 7 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 8 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 9 Fears over large nitrous oxide cannisters found in Gospel Oak
- 10 Hampstead to welcome boho women's lifestyle brand Free People
"In relation to the facts that have been proved, we are satisfied that Mr Kolade's conduct fell short of the standard expected of a registered teacher and was a breach of the standards of propriety expected of the profession.
"Accordingly, Mr Kolade's conduct amounts to unacceptable professional conduct.
"He seriously demeaned or undermined pupils or acted towards them in a manner which was discriminatory in relation to colour, race or ethnicity."
Patrick Cozier, headteacher at Highgate Wood School, said: "I can confirm that an incident took place at Highgate Wood School in November 2006 involving a supply teacher who was covering for an absent member of staff.
"We responded swiftly and reported the incident to the supply agency with whom he was employed.
"Subsequently, we also assisted the General Teaching Council with their investigation of the matter.
"I met with the family of the child concerned and they were kept fully informed on how the matter was being dealt with.
"The teacher concerned has not been used by the school in any capacity since the incident.