'Racist' teacher banned from teaching
A FORMER Highgate Wood School teacher has been banned from teaching after he made a series of racist comments to pupils. On Friday, the General Teaching Council found Adeniyi Kolade guilty of unacceptable professional conduct during his time as a supply
A FORMER Highgate Wood School teacher has been banned from teaching after he made a series of racist comments to pupils.
On Friday, the General Teaching Council found Adeniyi Kolade guilty of unacceptable professional conduct during his time as a supply teacher at the Montenotte Road secondary school in 2006.
The comments, made in November 2006, include an incident where Mr Kolade, from Edgware, called a pupil "chinky", the council heard.
He was also found to have told Year 7 pupils "Black people these days don't get the right education," and "Bad people come from bad families."
The council imposed a suspension order of six months on Mr Kolade, during which he will not be eligible to register as a teacher and must undergo training in diversity awareness.
David Storrie, chairman of the council, said: "In using such expressions, Mr Kolade demonstrated a lack of cultural sensitivity and a tendency towards racial stereotyping.
- 1 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 2 Susan Jones obituary: A 'humble' Muswell Hill shop owner of 40 years
- 3 Artist with autism exhibits vibrant London scenes at Lido Cafe
- 4 North London Chorus to perform in Muswell Hill
- 5 Possible travel disruptions in north London this week
- 6 'Someone is responsible for council spending £23m on office block'
- 7 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 8 Alexandra Palace chief executive to leave in 2022
- 9 Proposed bus changes could see Hampstead bus route 168 merged
- 10 Chance of snow in London this weekend
"In relation to the facts that have been proved, we are satisfied that Mr Kolade's conduct fell short of the standard expected of a registered teacher and was a breach of the standards of propriety expected of the profession.
"Accordingly, Mr Kolade's conduct amounts to unacceptable professional conduct.
"He seriously demeaned or undermined pupils or acted towards them in a manner which was discriminatory in relation to colour, race or ethnicity."
Patrick Cozier, headteacher at Highgate Wood School, said: "I can confirm that an incident took place at Highgate Wood School in November 2006 involving a supply teacher who was covering for an absent member of staff.
"We responded swiftly and reported the incident to the supply agency with whom he was employed.
"Subsequently, we also assisted the General Teaching Council with their investigation of the matter.
"I met with the family of the child concerned and they were kept fully informed on how the matter was being dealt with.
"The teacher concerned has not been used by the school in any capacity since the incident.