Queen Victoria’s tiara turns up in a Highgate home
A dazzling tiara belonging to Queen Victoria turned up in a private Highgate home last week, Heathman was surprised to learn.
The exquisite sapphire and diamond headpiece was the star guest at a talk by Antiques Roadshow jewellery expert Geoffrey Munn, as he put on a glittering display telling Highgate residents all about the monarch’s jewels.
More than 50 people gathered to see the collection and listen to the history of Queen Victoria’s precious gems on January 18.
The audience learned that Prince Albert would lavish expensive gifts on his wife and each stone would represent a different form of devotion between the couple.
Diamonds were for eternity, rubies for passion and turquoise for true love.
You may also want to watch:
The talk raised �3,000 for the humanitarian aid charity World Jewish Relief.
The money will be spent on its Connections scholarship programme, providing financial support for Jewish students in the former Yugoslavia who could not otherwise study.
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 3 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 4 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 7 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 8 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 9 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 10 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans