Protesters chained to Parliament statue
FOUR protesters from an activist group founded in West Hampstead have glued themselves to a statue in Parliament. Three women and one man from Climate Rush, the group founded by West Hampstead eco-activist Tamsin Omond, super-glued themselves around the
FOUR protesters from an activist group founded in West Hampstead have glued themselves to a statue in Parliament.
Three women and one man from Climate Rush, the group founded by West Hampstead eco-activist Tamsin Omond, super-glued themselves around the statue of Viscount Falkland.
The move is a bid to protest against Ed Miliband's go- ahead for a new generation of coal fired power stations.
The group claim the technology the stations will use to reduce emissions hasn't been proven.
You may also want to watch:
One of the rushers Chris Kitchen said: "We don't want to wake up to a climate crisis which will be caused by the same political cowardice and chronic short-termism as the economic crisis. It's now or never. The politicians need to stop relying on unproven technology and get stuck into real climate solutions."
The action comes exactly 100 years after suffragette Marjory Hume chained herself to the same sword to protest for women's suffrage.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 5 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 6 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 7 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 8 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 9 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actor dies aged 52
- 10 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
The police were forced to cut the stone to set her free but are using solvent to unstick the climate campaigners.
Climate Rush draws inspiration from the actions of the suffragettes in their protest for the Government to take action on climate change.
Tamsin Omond was one of a handful on Plane Stupid activists who protested against airport expansion by taking over the roof of parliament.