Proms at St Jude’s 2015 draws to crescendo finish
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
The illustrious Proms at St Jude’s festival drew to a crescendo finish last weekend following a week of literary talks and orchestral concerts.
Audiences were delighted by a wide variety of lunchtime and evening concerts in the last days of the annual festival – of which the Ham&High is its media partner – at the weekend at St Jude-on-the-Hill church in Hampstead Garden Suburb.
Proms committee member David Littaur was honoured on his 90th birthday at the magnificent Last Night of the Proms on Sunday when he was invited to take up the baton to conduct a short piece.
Proms founder Susie Gregson said: “He is the epitome of an English gentleman, extraordinarily polite and considerate and we are fond of saying that when we grow up, we want to be just like David!”
The final evening offered guests rousing orchestral pieces performed by the London International Orchestra and conducted by Howard Williams.
You may also want to watch:
But it was not all smooth sailing for the 23rd festival’s last hurrah.
On Tuesday last week, the Calais port strike nearly put a stop to a performance by the orchestral group Kammerphilharmonie Europa when they were delayed by several hours.
- 1 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 2 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 3 Taste of Nawab: A community staple with Tripadvisor acclaim
- 4 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 5 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 6 Skyscraper plans rejected by Westminster Council over damage to views
- 7 'She means the world': Councillor's plea to bring home missing cat Evey
- 8 Outdoor dining and one-way traffic to stay in St John's Wood High Street
- 9 Man stabbed on Finchley Road
- 10 High Court date set for disabled swimmer's challenge over ponds charges
Thankfully, the group made it in time for the interval, and the 450 concert-goers were not left disappointed.