Professor blames lack of discipline for Arsenal's Wigan horror show
Arsene Wenger blamed a lack of discipline for Arsenal s alarming collapse at Wigan on Sunday. His side looked set for a comfortable three points after taking a 2-0 lead through Theo Walcott and Mikael Silvestre. But with less than a quarter of an hour rem
Arsene Wenger blamed a lack of discipline for Arsenal's alarming collapse at Wigan on Sunday.
His side looked set for a comfortable three points after taking a 2-0 lead through Theo Walcott and Mikael Silvestre.
But with less than a quarter of an hour remaining Ben Watson pulled one back for the Latics and then Titus Bramble levelled after Lukasz Fabianski weakly fumbled a routine corner.
Roberto Martinez's side then pulled off a remarkable comeback to win the game when Charles N'Zogbia sliced through a tired Arsenal rearguard to fire home an unstoppable effort.
Bookmakers are now offering 200/1 for Arsenal to win the title.
"I believe that we were not focused and were not disciplined and we got caught," moaned Wenger.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 3 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 4 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 5 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 6 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 7 3,000 new council homes for Haringey over next ten years
- 8 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 9 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
- 10 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
"Overall in football you have to keep focused for 90 minutes, especially against a team who has nothing to lose and fights not to go down. They will not give up and in the end we were punished.
"After we went 2-0 up our game lacked cohesion and discipline and I always felt that we could be punished.