Problems at the ballot box for some in the election
VOTING hasn t come easy for many this morning after glitches emerged in the registration system. One Barnet resident called the Ham&High after she was told she was ineligible to vote despite contacting the council twice to confirm her registration. Seren
VOTING hasn't come easy for many this morning after glitches emerged in the registration system.
One Barnet resident called the Ham&High after she was told she was ineligible to vote despite contacting the council twice to confirm her registration.
Serena Snoad and three other residents at her East Finchley flat were turned away from Finchley New Theatre this morning with voting officers telling them their address was not on the register.
The response was particularly frustrating to charity worker Ms Snoad as she previously tried to contact the council about the fact she had no polling card but had no response.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "I have lived here three years and voted before. They said the property doesn't exist so we must not pay council tax but we do and I gave them the reference number.
"We filled out the registration form and spoke to the canvassers when they came around. We gave our details and did everything we should. I rang the council to tell them we hadn't had polling cards and contacted them through their Twitter address but heard nothing back."
- 1 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 2 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 3 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 4 Hampstead bakery sells challah hearts for Mental Health Awareness Week
- 5 British fencing great Richard Kruse announces retirement
- 6 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 7 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 8 Reader letter: Rubbish bins in Camden need 'levelling up'
- 9 Bishopwood Bowling Club hopes to create new image for the sport
- 10 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
A Barnet Council spokesman said: "I can't comment on individual cases but it is quite possible someone feels they have registered this year but in fact haven't registered in the last 12 months."
Problems casting your vote? Contact the Ham&High election team on email@example.com or by phone on 020-7433 6217.