Problems at the ballot box for some in the election
VOTING hasn t come easy for many this morning after glitches emerged in the registration system. One Barnet resident called the Ham&High after she was told she was ineligible to vote despite contacting the council twice to confirm her registration. Seren
VOTING hasn't come easy for many this morning after glitches emerged in the registration system.
One Barnet resident called the Ham&High after she was told she was ineligible to vote despite contacting the council twice to confirm her registration.
Serena Snoad and three other residents at her East Finchley flat were turned away from Finchley New Theatre this morning with voting officers telling them their address was not on the register.
The response was particularly frustrating to charity worker Ms Snoad as she previously tried to contact the council about the fact she had no polling card but had no response.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "I have lived here three years and voted before. They said the property doesn't exist so we must not pay council tax but we do and I gave them the reference number.
"We filled out the registration form and spoke to the canvassers when they came around. We gave our details and did everything we should. I rang the council to tell them we hadn't had polling cards and contacted them through their Twitter address but heard nothing back."
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 6 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 9 Camden, Haringey and Barnet mark Holocaust Memorial Day
- 10 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
A Barnet Council spokesman said: "I can't comment on individual cases but it is quite possible someone feels they have registered this year but in fact haven't registered in the last 12 months."
Problems casting your vote? Contact the Ham&High election team on email@example.com or by phone on 020-7433 6217.