Problems at the ballot box for some in the election
VOTING hasn t come easy for many this morning after glitches emerged in the registration system. One Barnet resident called the Ham&High after she was told she was ineligible to vote despite contacting the council twice to confirm her registration. Seren
VOTING hasn't come easy for many this morning after glitches emerged in the registration system.
One Barnet resident called the Ham&High after she was told she was ineligible to vote despite contacting the council twice to confirm her registration.
Serena Snoad and three other residents at her East Finchley flat were turned away from Finchley New Theatre this morning with voting officers telling them their address was not on the register.
The response was particularly frustrating to charity worker Ms Snoad as she previously tried to contact the council about the fact she had no polling card but had no response.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "I have lived here three years and voted before. They said the property doesn't exist so we must not pay council tax but we do and I gave them the reference number.
"We filled out the registration form and spoke to the canvassers when they came around. We gave our details and did everything we should. I rang the council to tell them we hadn't had polling cards and contacted them through their Twitter address but heard nothing back."
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 5 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 6 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 7 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 8 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 9 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 10 'We can't afford it': Camden foodbank prepares for spike in demand
A Barnet Council spokesman said: "I can't comment on individual cases but it is quite possible someone feels they have registered this year but in fact haven't registered in the last 12 months."
Problems casting your vote? Contact the Ham&High election team on firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 020-7433 6217.