Primrose Hill: ‘Thick black smoke’ pours into sky as midnight blaze wrecks empty house
- Credit: Archant
A house awaiting development was ablaze last night as dozens of firefighters fought to save it.
The fire service was called to the terraced property – in Elsworthy Rise, Primrose Hill – at 12.15am and needed three hours to stop the burning.
It took 35 firefighters to stop the fire, with watch manager Dave Waters stressing the operation was “technically difficult”.
He said: “Not only was thick black smoke pouring from the building but the floor had partially collapsed.
“This house was empty and awaiting redevelopment and so firefighters had to cut through metal security grills before they could access the fire.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “However, crews managed to stop the fire spreading to neighbouring properties.”
Three floors of the building were damaged in the blaze, which needed the help of crews from Kentish Town, West Hampstead, Euston and Paddington to extinguish.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 4 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 7 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
The cause is being investigated.