Power charged to land top belt against Booth
CAMDEN Town's Martin 'Too Much' Power will defend his British bantamweight title for the third time against Jason Booth in London in June - writes Pat Mooney
CAMDEN Town's Martin "Too Much" Power will defend his British bantamweight title for the third time against Jason Booth in London in June.
The former St Pancras amateur star, who suffered two painful defeats to South Africa's world-class Commonwealth champion Tshifhiwa Munayi in his last couple of fights, will be aiming to land the Lonsdale belt outright.
"One of my main ambitions in boxing is to win a Lonsdale belt and I'm one fight away from achieving that goal," Power exclusively told Wood&Vale Sport.
"Every since I was young kid at St Pancras I've had my eyes on winning a Lonsdale belt outright. Any British fighter wants to have one. I want to own this one and put it on my mantelpiece."
You may also want to watch:
Power, who was forced to retire with a damaged right bicep at the end of the fourth round in his second meeting with Munayi in January, had hoped that his next fight would have been against his old rival, Hackney's Ian Napa, with the European title at stake as well.
But Napa failed in his bid to wrestle the crown from the Italian champion Simone Maludrottu.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 5 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 8 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
Now, the 26-year-old is fully focused on defending his British title. "I'm over those two Muyai fights now," said Power, who returned to Johnny Eames TKO gym in Tottenham this week.
"The kid is a world class boxer but I was handicapped by my arm injury. Munyai deserved to win and he improved a lot since our first fight. I felt I brought more to the table the last time but my arm gave way.
"I've had a welcome break and now I'm back in full training. I was then hoping Napa would have won and it would have been his European title against my British title in a winner takes all. But there's a lot still to look forward to."
Power, twice a beaten ABA finalist with Saints during his amateur days, won his first 19 professional fights and looked on course for a tilt at the European title.
However, last June he lost to Munyai when the then unknown South African came in as a late substitute for a vacant Commonwealth title contest at York Hall.
The Camden fighter had been in action only a month before, making a successful second defence of his British crown against Issac "Argie" Ward, also at York Hall. Power maintained that his busy schedule and late change of opponent had been factors in tasting defeat for the first time as a professional in nine action packed rounds.
Power first won the British title in May 2005 when he defeated Dale Robinson on points and made a successful first defence against Napa, also on points in November of the same year.