Post office closures: isn't it time we were told the truth?
The threat to our postal services, including rising costs of postage, derives from European Union directives on the subject - over which we have no control. EU Directive 97/96 EC established a universal postal service within the European Union. This
The threat to our postal services, including rising costs of postage, derives from European Union directives on the subject - over which we have no control.
EU Directive 97/96 EC established a 'universal postal service' within the European Union. This had the effect of establishing monopoly 'Universal Service Providers' (USPs) - in Britain and other EU member countries. Each USP has a monopoly over mail weighing less than 350g. Mail over this weight can be delivered by other organisations, in what is known as the 'unreserved sector.' Hence the decline of Royal Mail as it is forced to give away more and more of its profitable business to competitors.
Later Directives reduced the monopoly of USPs to 50g.
The whole process is managed by the European Committee for Standardisation, a wholly unaccountable body. Among other proposals, so far not yet implemented, are plans to replace the Royal Insignia on post boxes with the 12 EU stars. This, at least, has the benefit of enabling us to know who to blame for poor postal services!
Directives from Brussels have been the cause of decline in many aspects of our daily lives. How the politicians have kept the facts from us until we have lost the power to govern ourselves is one of the most scandalous and shameful episodes in our history.
- 1 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 2 Hampstead, Highgate and Muswell Hill constituency changes consultation
- 3 Muswell Hill service ‘disgraceful’ as Royal Mail crisis continues
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of murder following Maida Vale deaths
- 5 'London is lagging behind – protect yourself and others from Covid'
- 6 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 7 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 8 Crowdfunder launched to buy Mortimer Terrace Nature Reserve
- 9 BAFTA-nominated BBC series returns to the Royal Free Hospital
- 10 'The joy of addiction is when you are free of it,' says Hampstead author
North End Road NW11