Post office closures: isn't it time we were told the truth?
The threat to our postal services, including rising costs of postage, derives from European Union directives on the subject - over which we have no control. EU Directive 97/96 EC established a universal postal service within the European Union. This
The threat to our postal services, including rising costs of postage, derives from European Union directives on the subject - over which we have no control.
EU Directive 97/96 EC established a 'universal postal service' within the European Union. This had the effect of establishing monopoly 'Universal Service Providers' (USPs) - in Britain and other EU member countries. Each USP has a monopoly over mail weighing less than 350g. Mail over this weight can be delivered by other organisations, in what is known as the 'unreserved sector.' Hence the decline of Royal Mail as it is forced to give away more and more of its profitable business to competitors.
Later Directives reduced the monopoly of USPs to 50g.
The whole process is managed by the European Committee for Standardisation, a wholly unaccountable body. Among other proposals, so far not yet implemented, are plans to replace the Royal Insignia on post boxes with the 12 EU stars. This, at least, has the benefit of enabling us to know who to blame for poor postal services!
You may also want to watch:
Directives from Brussels have been the cause of decline in many aspects of our daily lives. How the politicians have kept the facts from us until we have lost the power to govern ourselves is one of the most scandalous and shameful episodes in our history.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United
North End Road NW11