Post office closures: isn't it time we were told the truth?
The threat to our postal services, including rising costs of postage, derives from European Union directives on the subject - over which we have no control. EU Directive 97/96 EC established a universal postal service within the European Union. This
The threat to our postal services, including rising costs of postage, derives from European Union directives on the subject - over which we have no control.
EU Directive 97/96 EC established a 'universal postal service' within the European Union. This had the effect of establishing monopoly 'Universal Service Providers' (USPs) - in Britain and other EU member countries. Each USP has a monopoly over mail weighing less than 350g. Mail over this weight can be delivered by other organisations, in what is known as the 'unreserved sector.' Hence the decline of Royal Mail as it is forced to give away more and more of its profitable business to competitors.
Later Directives reduced the monopoly of USPs to 50g.
The whole process is managed by the European Committee for Standardisation, a wholly unaccountable body. Among other proposals, so far not yet implemented, are plans to replace the Royal Insignia on post boxes with the 12 EU stars. This, at least, has the benefit of enabling us to know who to blame for poor postal services!
You may also want to watch:
Directives from Brussels have been the cause of decline in many aspects of our daily lives. How the politicians have kept the facts from us until we have lost the power to govern ourselves is one of the most scandalous and shameful episodes in our history.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 10 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
North End Road NW11