Post office bosses face the music over closure threat
RESIDENTS fighting the proposed closure of post offices in Haringey are to meet on Tuesday. Representatives from the Royal Mail will discuss the proposals with the GLA member for Enfield and Haringey. The meeting, to be chaired by Susan Oatway and attend
RESIDENTS fighting the proposed closure of post offices in Haringey are to meet on Tuesday.
Representatives from the Royal Mail will discuss the proposals with the GLA member for Enfield and Haringey.
The meeting, to be chaired by Susan Oatway and attended by Lynne Featherstone MP, comes in response to growing anger at Post Office Ltd's wish to close 171 branches across the capital, including offices in Alexandra Palace, Highgate, South End Green, Belsize Park, Golders Green and Camden Town.
Also on Tuesday, Highgate residents furious about the proposed closure of their post office are due to protest from 10am. Comedian Victoria Wood and former newsreader Richard Baker will join the protesters.
Liz Morris, vice-chairwoman of the Highgate Society which is leading the protest, said: "The post office is a centre for Highgate village life - closing it would change the character of the high street and for many people there is no viable alternative.
"Travelling to other post offices means over half a mile up and down the steepest hills in London - impossible for some older people and an ordeal for parents with young children."
- 1 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 2 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 3 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 4 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 5 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 6 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 7 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 8 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 9 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 10 Toff's of Muswell Hill celebrates Fish and Chips Day with 50 free glasses of fizz
The meeting will be held at 7.45pm at the St Andrew's Church Hall, in Alexandra Park Road.