Post office bosses face the music over closure threat
RESIDENTS fighting the proposed closure of post offices in Haringey are to meet on Tuesday. Representatives from the Royal Mail will discuss the proposals with the GLA member for Enfield and Haringey. The meeting, to be chaired by Susan Oatway and attend
RESIDENTS fighting the proposed closure of post offices in Haringey are to meet on Tuesday.
Representatives from the Royal Mail will discuss the proposals with the GLA member for Enfield and Haringey.
The meeting, to be chaired by Susan Oatway and attended by Lynne Featherstone MP, comes in response to growing anger at Post Office Ltd's wish to close 171 branches across the capital, including offices in Alexandra Palace, Highgate, South End Green, Belsize Park, Golders Green and Camden Town.
Also on Tuesday, Highgate residents furious about the proposed closure of their post office are due to protest from 10am. Comedian Victoria Wood and former newsreader Richard Baker will join the protesters.
You may also want to watch:
Liz Morris, vice-chairwoman of the Highgate Society which is leading the protest, said: "The post office is a centre for Highgate village life - closing it would change the character of the high street and for many people there is no viable alternative.
"Travelling to other post offices means over half a mile up and down the steepest hills in London - impossible for some older people and an ordeal for parents with young children."
- 1 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 2 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 3 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 4 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 5 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 8 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 9 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
The meeting will be held at 7.45pm at the St Andrew's Church Hall, in Alexandra Park Road.