Post office bosses face the music over closure threat
RESIDENTS fighting the proposed closure of post offices in Haringey are to meet on Tuesday. Representatives from the Royal Mail will discuss the proposals with the GLA member for Enfield and Haringey. The meeting, to be chaired by Susan Oatway and attend
RESIDENTS fighting the proposed closure of post offices in Haringey are to meet on Tuesday.
Representatives from the Royal Mail will discuss the proposals with the GLA member for Enfield and Haringey.
The meeting, to be chaired by Susan Oatway and attended by Lynne Featherstone MP, comes in response to growing anger at Post Office Ltd's wish to close 171 branches across the capital, including offices in Alexandra Palace, Highgate, South End Green, Belsize Park, Golders Green and Camden Town.
Also on Tuesday, Highgate residents furious about the proposed closure of their post office are due to protest from 10am. Comedian Victoria Wood and former newsreader Richard Baker will join the protesters.
You may also want to watch:
Liz Morris, vice-chairwoman of the Highgate Society which is leading the protest, said: "The post office is a centre for Highgate village life - closing it would change the character of the high street and for many people there is no viable alternative.
"Travelling to other post offices means over half a mile up and down the steepest hills in London - impossible for some older people and an ordeal for parents with young children."
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 3 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 4 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 7 Letters: The floods!
- 8 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 9 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
- 10 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
The meeting will be held at 7.45pm at the St Andrew's Church Hall, in Alexandra Park Road.