Posh fish and chip shop to open in Hampstead this month
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Posh fish and chips are coming to Hampstead.
Last week, Camden Council approved proposals from restaurateur Rinaldo Mollura to open Fish Cafe in Hampstead High Street.
It follows opposition to the plans from the Heath and Hampstead Society which raised concerns about “pungent and obtrusive smells”.
But Labour peer Lord Melyvn Bragg, 74, who has lived in Hampstead for more than 40 years, spoke out in support of the new venture – insisting Hampstead needed more “smart-casual restaurants” like the Fish Cafe.
Mr Mollura, 58, owner of well-known Italian restaurant Villa Bianca, in Perrin’s Court, said: “I’m very, very pleased about the planning permission. There will be fried, steamed and grilled fish. It will be a very nice menu.”
He hopes to open the Fish Cafe on the former site of Base restaurant by the end of the month.
- 1 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 2 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 3 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 4 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 5 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 6 Muswell Hill service ‘disgraceful’ as Royal Mail crisis continues
- 7 'The joy of addiction is when you are free of it,' says Hampstead author
- 8 Hampstead, Highgate and Muswell Hill constituency changes consultation
- 9 BAFTA-nominated BBC series returns to the Royal Free Hospital
- 10 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club