Popular uphill bike race in Highgate’s Swain’s Lane cancelled due to road safety concerns
- Credit: Archant
A popular cycle race in Highgate had to be cancelled due to fears over road safety.
Organisers of the Rollapaluza Urban Hill Climb which has been held in Swain’s Lane for the last three years, said parking restrictions had not been implemented meaning both rider and spectator safety was compromised.
The event - an 800metre uphill sprint up one of London’s steepest inclines - was due to kick off last Thursday at 6.30pm with hundreds of competitors expected to take part.
A statement published on the organisers’ website read: “It is with regret that we have cancelled/postponed the 2013 Urban Hill Climb due to reasons beyond our control.
“As event organisers we feel we have a responsibility not only to provide great events, but also to ensure the safety of all participants and the general public. With the road conditions as they were just a few hours before start time we could not guarantee a safe event.”
You may also want to watch:
A second statement published on the Urban Hill Climb Facebook page read: “Just to clarify by road conditions we don’t mean pot-holes etc, our main concern were cars parked, because parking restrictions hadn’t been implemented. This compromised rider and spectator safety, the fact that the car owners could have returned during the race to move their cars would have been too disruptive.”
The event is due to be re-scheduled.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 5 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 6 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 7 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 8 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 9 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actor dies aged 52
- 10 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17